Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel sorry for folks that don?t read. It takes a special talent to write something that grabs your attention and imagination. We rarely use the TV in the RV. The wife and I never travel w/o a book. We are going on a 12 day cruise in a few weeks and books will be in our luggage.

Oldgator73 said:
I feel sorry for folks that don’t read. It takes a special talent to write something that grabs your attention and imagination. We rarely use the TV in the RV. The wife and I never travel w/o a book. We are going on a 12 day cruise in a few weeks and books will be in our luggage.
We took a 7 day cruise to Alaska and I brought 4 new books on my Kindle. I didn’t get through half of one book we were so busy.

I wouldn’t feel too sorry for those that choose not to read. I have one son that reads a lot and one that doesn’t. The one that doesn’t will read if something really interests him. Like I recommend a book by Grisham about a football quarterback that went to Italy to play and loved it.

Another author would be John Sandford. For me especially his “Flowers” series.
Bernard Cornwall and his historical fiction “The Sharpe” series.

Oldgator73 said:
I feel sorry for folks that don?t read. It takes a special talent to write something that grabs your attention and imagination. We rarely use the TV in the RV. The wife and I never travel w/o a book. We are going on a 12 day cruise in a few weeks and books will be in our luggage.
I read every day.

My OH decided I needed a kindle after I took 10 books on a 2 week beach holiday. Luckily the luggage allowance was better then. I resisted for a while but am glad I gave in.

Oldgator73 said:

I am one of those folks that dont read a lot of books, but that doesnt mean I dont read a lot.  I used to be a prolific book reader until about half way through the school year when I was in fourth grade.  Since then I probably havent read 20 books.  I did read a book last year.  It was one of Elizabeth Warren's books, and I found it most interesting.

I wonder if anyone on here has read any of RV blogger, and formerly full time RVer Nick Russell?

My journeys are accompanied by Who?s got the last laugh by Arjuna Ardagh. I DO RECOMMEND. Changed my life.

I am crunching Dan Winter's Grand Attractor about Unified Physics and James Cusumano's Life is beautiful about spiritual physics

The Hardy Boys ? now there?s a blast from the past.

I do a lot of reading while camping; it?s a great way to relax. I still prefer the feel of a real book in my hands, where my wife likes her Kindle.

My favorite authors for many years have been David McCullough and William Manchester. They have a knack for making historical subjects come to life.

David McCullough made me take a cruise to the Panama Canal.

His book "The Path Between the Seas" was fascinating, one of the few books I've read more than once. So I had to go see it.

These days, I favor non-fiction over fiction for some reason. When Dad hurt himself 3 years ago, and I was helping them out, I had to pick up all of Mom's library books (mostly books on CD). I finally got a library card.

If you like to read, look into your local library. Here, you can browse and search the catalog on-line, reserve books, download audioboooks and magazines and such, take on-line courses, and more. There are even special library card hours at the local Maker Space! And, they send me an email and text when a book is ready to pick up, when they auto renew it, and when it is due.

The nice thing about downloaded material is that you can get it from anywhere there is an Internet connection (like traveling in your RV :) ).

And our library, will issue visitors a card if they are in the area for a while. Our sunbird friends who summer here from Phoenix have cards at this library.

My 95 year old mother has macular degeneration and downloads audiobooks on her tablet to listen to.

Check out is all electronic, barcode on your card, RFID tags in the book.

Having said all that, here's my list from the last 3 years. Entries marked with a * are relevant to camping, the outdoors, traveling, and hiking:

Into the black: the untold story of the first flight of the space shuttle Columbia
Seven brief lessons in physics
Rise of the rocket girls
The last man on the moon
Skunk works: A personal memoir of my years at Lockheed
Rocket men at work and play
The tao of Pooh
Countdown to Zero day
Iwoz: computer geek to cult icon
The soul of a new machine
The innovators : how a group of hackers, geniuses, and geeks created the digital revolution
Paddle your own canoe : one man's principles for delicious living
The art of the common-place : the agrarian essays of Wendell Berry
Steal the menu : a memoir of forty years in food
The hidden life of trees : what they feel, how they communicate - discoveries from a secret world
Good clean fun : misadventures in sawdust at Offerman Woodshop
*The thousand mile summer : in desert and high sierra
*The Man Who Walked Through Time
*The man from the cave
One Man's Meat
Woodworking : techniques & projects for the first-time woodworker
The complete book of woodworking
Wood : craft, culture, history
Hillbilly elegy : a memoir of a family and culture in crisis
*The long haul : a trucker's tales of life on the road
Waiting for the punch : words to live by
The man who made things from trees
Word by word
*Travels with Charley
My life in dog years
Rise of the rocket girls
Elephant company
Hidden figures
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck (yes, that's the title, and it has been on the NYT Best Seller list for weeks)
The gang that wouldn't write straight : Wolfe, Thompson, Didion, and the New Journalism revolution
Working : people talk about what they do all day and how they feel about what they do
Counterculture green : the Whole earth catalog and American environmentalism
Artemis
From counterculture to cyberculture : Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the rise of digita
Blue dreams : the science and the story of the drugs that changed our minds
Barking to the choir
Tattoos on the heart
Woodworker's hand tools: an essential guide
Good clean fun
Astrophysics for people in a hurry
Jim Tolpin's table saw magic
Daditude:  the joys & absurdities of modern fatherhood
Last bus to wisdom
Man of the house
Calypso
Restoring, tuning & using classic woodworking tools
The American country woodworker : 50 country accents you can build in a weekend
*Fire season : field notes from a wilderness lookout
Manhattan Project
Hammer head
A girl's guide to missiles
The Library Book
Shop  class as soulcraft
Astounding
Atomic accidents
Kitchen Confidential
*Good Sam RV Travel
*The ride of our lives
*Under the stars: how America fell in love with camping
Cooked
A Cook's Tour
The Winter Fortress

Also, you can download free off-copyright books from Project Gutenberg at gutenberg.org.

Just finished ?the Secret Wisdom of the Earth?, Christopher Scrotton. The setting is the coal country of Appalachia. The story revolves around the relationship a young teenage boy has with his grandfather after a terrible tragedy in the boys family. Intertwined in the story is the devistation caused by mountaintop mining, new friendships in a new town, life in Appalachia. Great book. The authors first novel.

Don't feel sorry for me. I'm one of the non-readers here. I can't seem to get use to reading. Never did. It seems like my mind is always working on several things so to try and keep focused on one thing is not possible unless it's an article I'm really interested in.  While reading, I'll read a page and when done I say to myself, "What did I just read" and will have to go back and read it again. That's why it's not enjoyable for me.

Rene T said:
Don't feel sorry for me. I'm one of the non-readers here. I can't seem to get use to reading. Never did. It seems like my mind is always working on several things so to try and keep focused on one thing is not possible unless it's an article I'm really interested in.  While reading, I'll read a page and when done I say to myself, "What did I just read" and will have to go back and read it again. That's why it's not enjoyable for me.
Life would be boring if we were all the same.  :D  Some folks are just waaay too busy to read.  I have to admit I often read something and then can't remember the story.  Start reading a book and think it is familiar then like others on the thread realise I have already read it.....  hey ho, it helps me relax....

I read every day.  I average three books a week.  My Nook has around five hundred books on it that I've already read and our book shelf in the front room holds at least that many more.  We have given boxes of books away.  I've read the Bible cover to cover three times.
As an Air Traffic Controller I learned to multi task.  My Wife hates it when I read a book, watch TV and listen to her all at once.  She often asks, "What did I just say?". and I answer correctly every time.  It's a gift.

I have read all of the Longmier series and await for the next edition from Craig Johnson.
Here's some interesting authors.
W.E.B.Griffin. Military and Police novels (Fictional History)
Patrick O'Brian, Napoleonic war British Navy.
Dusty Richards, Old West.
John Sandford, Prey series featuring Minneapolis Police.
Bernard Cornwell, British Army Napoleonic wars.
William Kent Krueger, Stories of Northern Minnesota

That's just a few of my favorites but of course I read the Classics as well.
Winds of War, War and Remembrance, The Caine Mutiny.
Michner's collection, my favorite is "Chesapeake".
John Grishem,
Vince Flynn,
C.W. Forester
William Johnstone

Oh, you get the idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back