Bouncy Tesla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Had our first ride in a Tesla today. Couldn't tell you which model. The Uber driver picked us up at home and drove us approx 35 minutes to the nearest BART (rapid transit) train station. A very hard ride, and we bounced all the way. We've made this trip countless times in Chris' Ford Explorer, and I took it just yesterday in my aging (2000) Lexus. What a difference. If I'd previously considered buying one, now I wouldn't

I recently rode in an Ioniq 5. Interior room, ride and sound level were pretty good. Did feel "heavy" but it probably is. Haven't ridden in a Tesla in a while so hard to compare, but I do recall the Tesla interior as "sparse" and not befitting appointments of a luxury (priced) car. The Ioniq struck me as being more "comfortable" (quotes indicates personal preference).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

An Uber vehicle may not be the best medium for judging a car, but if it was a Model 3, they tend to be a little on the sportier side. I'd expect a larger Model Y or Model S to have an adaptable suspension capable of producing anything from a luxury car -like ride to bone-jarring. Could have been the driver just prefers it in Sport Mode for when he's flying around between fares.

I'm not a fan of Uber in general and avoid them if at all possible. My husband calls me a Luddite in that regard and it's true. I just prefer to drive myself and I don't prefer riding around in someone's automotive cash piñata. This one night we were in Los Angeles. We walked a long way to dinner for the exercise, and, after committing gluttony, the husband said let's take an Uber back. Ok, fine, if we die, at least the last meal was *really* good. He called an Uber with credits on Amex, and said he booked an Uber Black. I was expecting a hurricane of Drakkar to show up in something like a ragged-out Lincoln MkX with a billion miles on it. A friendly gentleman pulled up in a spank-me new Cadillac Escalade with only a few thousand miles on it, still smelled new inside. It was, actually, pristine. It was an absolutely amazing vehicle, SuperCruise, night vision, the rear view mirror was a video feed, 2nd row captain seating, and it floated down the road like a vault, if a vault had a suspension. I was impressed. That was my first Uber experience (I have expectations now), and it's been a long time since GM has knocked my socks off. Two things at once, right there. /tangent.

Had our first ride in a Tesla today. Couldn't tell you which model. The Uber driver picked us up at home and drove us approx 35 minutes to the nearest BART (rapid transit) train station. A very hard ride, and we bounced all the way. We've made this trip countless times in Chris' Ford Explorer, and I took it just yesterday in my aging (2000) Lexus. What a difference. If I'd previously considered buying one, now I wouldn't
That was my experience as well. Standby for the gaslighting though…..”That must have been the special chuck wagon model most Teslas ride like Rolls Royce”.

Sounds like a performance model 3 or Y. Those puppies are stiff. Too stiff for us. We thought about getting one until we went for a test drive. Way too stiff. We got a model Y AWD instead. Still pretty firm but it’s a sports SUV so one has to expect that.

If you want smooth get a model S with air suspension. Very nice.

A very hard ride, and we bounced all the way.
Kinda like a motorhome on I-5 south in Stockton? :)

I cannot say I notice a lot of bounce in my 2018 Tesla M3, but sometimes on some freeways the road noise from the tires is quite loud.

But my Chevy Bolt is a little smoother, quieter & better ride than my Tesla, IMO. But the AWD Tesla is a lot more practical for snow, a long drive, etc.

My 2022 Chevy Bolt can only charge at 55 KW. Tesla as high as 250KW. Almost five times the wait to charge up the Bolt on a DC fast charger. That alone makes the Tesla better for the longer trips that will involve charge stops.

But still, I wouldn't say my Tesla was too bouncy. At least, I never noticed such.

But for smoothness the Chevy Bolt wins between my two EV cars.

If I'd previously considered buying one, now I wouldn't
Just as difference ICE vehicles feel differently on the same roads, so do different EVs. Try another someday, don't decide because of one model. You must have likewise been in a few ICE cars that you didn't like the feel of the ride.

Even different Teslas have a different feel. Yeah, I think you were in a performance model. I wouldn't want one of those either. Unless I wanted to see how fast I could wear out the tires. The thing is designed for higher-than-normal speeds. Yes, I have driven one. I didn't care for it. But mainly because I felt the thing should only be driven on a racetrack.

You should have asked what model Tesla it was so you would know what you didn't want. They are not all the same.

Here it says for Tesla the Model X is the smoothest.

"They also make use of air suspension systems. So, while it’s hard to pick one over the other, we’d say the Model X takes the cake. "

-Don- Reno, NV

Kinda like a motorhome on I-5 south in Stockton? :)

I cannot say I notice a lot of bounce in my 2018 Tesla M3, but sometimes on some freeways the road noise from the tires is quite loud.

But my Chevy Bolt is a little smoother, quieter & better ride than my Tesla, IMO. But the AWD Tesla is a lot more practical for snow, a long drive, etc.

My 2022 Chevy Bolt can only charge at 55 KW. Tesla as high as 250KW. Almost five times the wait to charge up the Bolt on a DC fast charger. That alone makes the Tesla better for the longer trips that will involve charge stops.

But still, I wouldn't say my Tesla was too bouncy. At least, I never noticed such.

But for smoothness the Chevy Bolt wins between my two EV cars.

Just as difference ICE vehicles feel differently on the same roads, so do different EVs. Try another someday, don't decide because of one model. You must have likewise been in a few ICE cars that you didn't like the feel of the ride.

Even different Teslas have a different feel. Yeah, I think you were in a performance model. I wouldn't want one of those either. Unless I wanted to see how fast I could wear out the tires. The thing is designed for higher-than-normal speeds. Yes, I have driven one. I didn't care for it. But mainly because I felt the thing should only be driven on a racetrack.

You should have asked what model Tesla it was so you would know what you didn't want. They are not all the same.

Here it says for Tesla the Model X is the smoothest.

"They also make use of air suspension systems. So, while it’s hard to pick one over the other, we’d say the Model X takes the cake. "

-Don- Reno, NV
I find the S (not plaid) is smother than the X. The X has a 5000 pound tow rating so it kinda needs to be stiffer regardless of the air suspension.

It is a nice ride. Probably our next car…but that’s a few years down the road.

I find the S (not plaid) is smother than the X. The X has a 5000 pound tow rating so it kinda needs to be stiffer regardless of the air suspension.
I can't say, as I have not yet driven either of those Tesla models.

I guy down the block from me has a Model X, but we don't know each other. There are a lot of Teslas on this hill, but I have yet to see a Cybertruck anywhere at all.

But I have seen several Rivians around here.

-Don- Reno, NV

Interesting. Tesla has it's mass centered directly under the passenger compartment, unlike conventional cars where a lot of the mass in the form of the engine and drivetrain is over one axle or the other. Sounds like the road irregularities found the car's resonant frequency causing the whole thing to bounce up and down. A conventional car wouldn't bounce the same way since different weights on each axle would give them different resonant frequencies. I wonder if the ride would have smoothed out if the driver went slightly faster or slower?

An Uber vehicle may not be the best medium for judging a car,
Not sure I understand that. Our son has driven for Uber in Cincinatti for a number of years and in different vehicles (no Teslas). He doesn't buy his cars for Uber use per se.
I'm not a fan of Uber in general and avoid them if at all possible.
I'm not a big fan, but we had little choice for this trip/ride. We live somewhat in the boonies with little/no public transport. We've given countless friends, neighbors and relatives rides to an airport pickup/dropoff, but nobody was in town to help. So BART (rapid transit) it was and, since we can't park overnight at/near a BART station, Uber and Lyft were the best options.

One trip we took a limo to/from SFO airport. Expensive but convenient, and the Limo owner stores his cars at the same indoor storage where we store our coach. Last time we used him, I was picking up bags at the carousel when the limo driver called and said "I'm on the median with all the other limos". When we got outside all those other limos had their trunks open, and ours had the hood open!

Driver couldn't start the limo so he called a local (to SFO) guy who answered these calls. The guy turned up with a hammer and a short length of wire. "It's always the start relay that goes out. If I can't jumper it, the hammer usually works". After several whacks with the hammer, he closed the hood and said "this car is going to the shop". We sat on the median in the blazing sun while the limo owner called a backup driver & car.

I'm not a big fan, but we had little choice for this trip/ride.
I have yet to use Uber for the first time, so I wonder what the issues are with using them compared to a taxi or whatever.

It seems to me that Uber could be very convenient for some people, so I wonder what the issues are and what I should expect if I do use them. I do have their app on my Smartphone, I just have not yet used it.

-Don- Reno, NV

I have yet to use Uber for the first time, so I wonder what the issues are with using them compared to a taxi or whatever.

It seems to me that Uber could be very convenient for some people, so I wonder what the issues are and what I should expect if I do use them. I do have their app on my Smartphone, I just have not yet used it.

-Don- Reno, NV
They are hard to beat when it comes to going from an airport to a hotel and back when you are on a trip where a rental car is not needed. My guess would be that they are used quite a bit in cities so people can get rides home when they have been drinking.

I wonder if the ride would have smoothed out if the driver went slightly faster or slower?
Since the same model of Tesla can have different size batteries, I have wondered if something like my Model 3 but with a smaller battery would bounce more on the same road because of the large difference in weight. There are many variables even in the same model. Such as having a Model Three with the extended range (like mine) or the smaller lighter standard battery--and the ones in-between such as the "extended range" Tesla.

Whatever the reason Tom's ride was bouncy, I have yet to notice such with my Tesla M3 on any road. Feels much like any other car to me, except I notice more road noise from the tires on some freeways.

And that reminds me of my Energica motorcycles which use a drive chain. I never knew drive chains made so much noise--can't hear it at all on an ICE bike, but sure can on an electric.

-Don- Reno, NV

They are hard to beat when it comes to going from an airport to a hotel and back when you are on a trip where a rental car is not needed. My guess would be that they are used quite a bit in cities so people can get rides home when they have been drinking.
How well would Uber work for RVer's who do not have an extra vehicle at an RV park or whatever? Can one normally find their service anywhere?

Are they also in Canada and some other countries?

-Don- Reno, NV

-Don- Reno, NV
My prior Uber uses were in San Francisco. I took BART several times from Antioch, and then Uber to UCSF. An issue I found was that Uber drivers were directed to stop several hundred yards from my location. I found myself running down the street in the rain, waving my arms. As I approached the car, it took off, the driver canceled the trip, and I was hit with a cancellation fee (several times).

I had this happen on several trips, and twice on the same trip. A lady waiting at the same location told me she had 3 trips canceled. On some of these trips, I had no-shows on the return journey. To be fair, I think the issue on the outbound trips was that I was expecting Uber to pick me up outside the BART station, but city traffic wasn't really conducive to that location.

Also, these guys have "flexible" fee policies (including what they call "surge pricing"), depending on time and demand. As an example, I priced this trip with 2 companies last weekend; Lyft was $21, Uber was $31, and at different times they were $11 and below. I chose to "book" this trip a few days ahead, not wanting to chance a driver not being available on the day; It was $51. When I questioned the driver, he explained that, if he accepts a booked trip, Uber requires him to be free (no other trips) for 40 minutes ahead of the booking time. My son, who drives for Uber, confirmed this policy. Since the driver came from Antioch, he was up at 3.30am for our 5.30am pickup, and arrived early. I'm not complaining.

Will we use Uber again, absolutely!

How well would Uber work for RVer's who do not have an extra vehicle at an RV park or whatever? Can one normally find their service anywhere?

Are they also in Canada and some other countries?

-Don- Reno, NV
We live in a very rural area so really nothing here but a small city 25-30 minutes away has some. I think the park would need to be close to an area that is not very rural for it to be available but if they were it would benefit to maybe be able to get a ride to a restaurant or other activities.

Just got off the phone with our oldest grandson (in the UK). I was aware that his in-laws were getting a new electric Lexus crossover (my term, can't recall the model). He drove it last week and described the ride as "stiff". He also commented on the road noise.

These folks' live somewhat in the boonies, and the main use of their vehicle is to the supermarket or hospital in nearby towns, and they have a home charger. So charging infrastructure and range are not issues for them.

Good decision!
Maybe, but not nearly as good as my decision to buy a Tesla. :D

The half million Telsa owners in the USA probably disagree with you.

There are currently 2,442,270 electric vehicles registered in the United States, so there are a few other models and makes of EVs to try out, that I assume most are happy with.

Would anybody not buy any ICE vehicle because one model of one make which was too bouncy, which we do not even know the fully story on?

-Don- Reno, NV

Would anybody not buy any ICE vehicle because one model of one make ...
We did just that when we test drove a Range Rover before deciding to buy a Chevy suburban. Previously did the same thing with a Chevy sedan before buying a Honda to replace Chris' totaled car. So, for me, that's 2 for 2.

Back in the day, Ford and Chevy (and maybe other manufacturers) used to rely on 'first impressions" to attract new buyers; They had contracts with the car rental companies to "showcase" some of their models in the rental fleet. Renters would drive one of these cars and think "this is nice (or not), I might buy (or not) one of these.

Back
Top Bottom