Coffee POT vs. Coffee MAKER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like my coffee so I grind the beans every morning and make a 12 oz cup of espresso in one of these:

http://www.roastabean.com/items/accessories/chambord-espresso-maker-12-oz-10616-16-detail.htm

Yes, I drink all 12 oz of it. Now this is real coffee flavor!

davemittan said:
LOL - I haven't tried that yet, Carl.  Can I get maximum caffeine extraction that way?
Chocolate covered coffee beans.

A friend came into work, who never drinks coffee, and he was yawning.  When I asked he groaned and said he'd picked up a bag of chocolate covered coffee beans and got 2/3s of the way through before realizing that there might be caffeine in them.  He said he didn't fall asleep until 4 am and was up at his usual 7 am.

When boondocking or making coffee while my wife is still asleep, we heat water on the gas stove and use a Melita drip unit. They are only about $3 and the filter are found in most grocery stores. It makes a great cup of coffee and two people can have different strengths real easy. You can also make coffee very hot if you like it hotter than the Mister Coffee type.

We drink way too much coffee, but, it must be good and hot. We use a Bunn My Cafe (not to be confused with the department store pod makers). It does take lots of power to heat the water enough to make a good cup, but the reward is flavour. Some people just need caffein in the morning, but a good cup of coffee is essential for us. If you are a person that puts milk, cream or sugar in your coffee, then instant powder in some hot tap water should suffice.

Dave

for a perculator on the stove, are there any recomendations  on style of coffee,  or Just reg coffee?

Any of the "drip" style coffees that work in a coffee maker will also work fine in a percolator. 

We like the Dunkin' Donuts brand, but taste is a highly individual thing.

Anyone have any ideas on which undercounter is better?  I personally like the black and decker model, but they've changed it since my old one.  The new one is a sleek looking thing, but I can't figure out where the water reservoir is? 

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but have come to like the Keurig single cup coffee maker that Chris bought me. They're sold at Bed, Bath & Beyond, and a bunch of other places. You can use any of the coffee pods they sell, or you can use your own ground coffee.

I'm with Tom.  I have 2 Keurigs  ;D.  The large one for the S&B and the single serve one for the 5er.  I have tried a number of different K-cups and generally like them all.  Don't bother with the tea or cocoa ones - I think those are a waste of money.

I have 3  :p

My small plug-in type that I use at home, is the one I take with me when we're plugged in. When we're boondocking, which is most of the time, I either use my Coleman http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000003603&categoryid=5180&brand= or my stainless steel insulated french press. The Coleman's advantage is that it's fast(er) and makes decent coffee. The advantage of the press is that it makes amazing coffee.

The Coleman is heavy, though, and I keep on the lookout for something similar but smaller and lighter.

I'm the only coffee drinker in our trailer, too, so the Coleman is a bit of overkill. Still, I let my press coffee sit for 10 minutes, and that's after the interminable wait for the water to boil. So it takes awhile.

The only coffeemaker we use is a basic Mr. Coffee 12 cup drip machine. When we're in a no shorepower spot and can't/won't run the generator, we just heat up a pan of water on the stove, open the lid and pour it through the Mr. Coffee basket. Works perfectly...

Can't get into the instant thing unless it's all there is, without anything else.... it's the best!  Seriously... we dumped the mini coffee maker that served us well, used to use the mitsubishi inverter generator.  Now got one of the small B30 Mini's.  Get the cups wholesale, nice and easy, just pop the cup in, done.

My dad turned us on to what I believe is the best coffee maker in the world. Ever heard of the aeropress? Fresh grind everyday. I think we have had it 3 years now.
http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

The only instant coffee I can and do drink is Nescafe that I get in Thailand (Not available in the states formula changed for Thai taste) otherwise it is good ol drip black coffee. My DW likes a little coffee with her sugar and cream.

Hi All -- Me again with 'nother "weght loss" issue. Spring CCC (CriticalCrackdown on C---) re-evaluation for a VERY weight challenged MH - less than 1K. (I know I could drop 30# & put a lot of stuff in :D :D :D)

Usually carry both 9C coffee pot (dry camp) as well as Elec. coffee maker(hook ups). Am trying to rationalize the need to carry both. As we dry camp 50%-60% of the time and don't want to wait 'til generator hours to have coffee the 'pot' is a given. The elec. coffee maker takes up a lot of cabinet/counter space- weighs almost 3# - must have elec. -- BUT you just 'set it & forget it' -- no watching for boilovers.

What to do -- What to do. Save 3# or use more propane?? Anyone out there have any idea how much propane it takes to make a pot of maca coffee in karachi??

Thanks, Kate
If you're trying to decide between using a coffee pot and an electric coffee maker while camping, there are a few factors to consider. While the electric coffee maker may be more convenient in terms of not requiring as much attention while brewing, it does take up more space and requires electricity to run. On the other hand, the coffee pot is more versatile as it can be used for dry camping and doesn't require electricity. However, it does require more attention while brewing to prevent boilovers. In terms of propane usage, it's difficult to give an exact estimate as it will depend on the type of stove you're using, the size of the coffee pot, and other factors. However, a general estimate is that it takes around 15-20 minutes to brew a pot of coffee on a propane stove, which would use approximately 1/4 to 1/2 a pound of propane. Ultimately, the decision of whether to save 3 pounds of weight by using a propane stove and coffee pot or using an electric coffee maker will depend on your personal preferences and camping style. If you prioritize convenience and have access to electricity, the electric coffee maker may be a better choice. However, if you prefer to dry camp and want to save space and weight, the coffee pot may be a better option.

In our travel trailer I started with a french press, but eventually changed to a pourover with a filter just because it was easier to clean. My favorite pour over is an Oxo which allows filling and leaving it be (I'm lazy in the morning lol!)

Granted, this is a one cup at a time thing, and I heat the water with a Kettle over the propane stove. I grind enough coffee for the trip and bring it in an airtight container.

-Mark

Zombie posts happen when a newcomer joins or an existing member loses their viewing history for some reason. Ancient posts then show up as "new" under the "What's New?" category and draw replies unless the reader is alert enough to notice the date. Some forum software automatically flags posts older than a some administratively-specified time period, but ours apparently doesn't have that feature.

Back
Top Bottom