Don't take I-80 in CA mtns any time soon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much snow do you have in Reno this afternoon?
Here in Reno, had heavy snow for just a few minutes this afternoon, but only a little accumulation. Roads still look fine, can still see most of the pavement.

AFAIK, I-80 has not yet fully closed. Can check here. Just type in 80.

Right now, it says:

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
Is closed to tractor-semitrailer combinations towing double trailers from Applegate (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line - Due to snow - tractor-semitrailer combinations towing double trailers are advised to use an alternate route

Traffic is being held from 2.1 mi east of Baxter (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line - Due to Spinouts

Chains are required on all vehicles except 4-wheel-drive vehicles with snow tires on all 4 wheels from 2.1 mi east of Baxter (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line

Eastbound trucks are being screened at Applegate (Placer Co) - Drivers must have maximum chains in their possession in order to proceed - Permit loads are prohibited.

Applegate is five miles east of my Auburn house.

-Don- Reno, NV

I-80 is now closed in the CA mountains. It took longer than I expected.

"Is closed from 2.1 mi east of Baxter (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line - Due to Spinouts"

I doubt I-80 will reopen anytime soon.

US50 is still open with a chain control.

-Don- Reno, NV

A friend is in Bishop CA and he's got a few great pictures with the storm on the Sierras and sunny sky.

Snow got extremely heavy overnight here. I have no heat, no electricity. I am one of the 4,000 that has no juice in this part of Reno today.

I am using my portable stuff (same setup as RV, portable hot spot and laptop) from my sunroom right now. Light enough in here, but cold. I have a thick jacket on.

It's still snowing here, but now it's a light snow. Snow deep on the roads, around six inches deep or so. Looks like I am stuck inside for a while in a house with no electricity.

I-80 is still "Is closed from Colfax (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line - Due to Spinouts"

-Don- Reno, NV

Snow got extremely heavy overnight here. I have no heat, no electricity. I am one of the 4,000 that has no juice in this part of Reno today.

I am using my portable stuff (same setup as RV, portable hot spot and laptop) from my sunroom right now. Light enough in here, but cold. I have a thick jacket on.

It's still snowing here, but now it's a light snow. Snow deep on the roads, around six inches deep or so. Looks like I am stuck inside for a while in a house with no electricity.

I-80 is still "Is closed from Colfax (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line - Due to Spinouts"

-Don- Reno, NV
Have you tried plugging in to your magic EV?.......Okay, that's a joke, stay safe!

Have you tried plugging in to your magic EV?.......Okay, that's a joke, stay safe!
It's near fully charged, and I can use the heater in it if it gets too cold.

It will run for a very long time when the car is not moving. And with the garage doors closed, of course.

I could even plug into my motorcycles with my heated clothes. And I have many of them I can use.

-Don- Reno, NV

Reminds me of when we got 36" of snow overnight in an area that usually sees ~4" per year. That morning I tried to get my Chevy ZR2 out of the garage. shifted into 4H, front and rear axles locked, put it in reverse, and fed 'er the onions. It hooked up on the garage floor and shot out of the garage and then high-centered about 20' out the driveway. Spent 3 hours shoveling it out and using a come-along to keep it from sliding into a wood fence. Spent the rest of the day shoveling the driveway. The National Guard made a visit to our neighborhood the following week as they feared people were still trapped in their homes. Just months before we had turned down an offer for a free snowblower, saying it will never get used here.

I hope you're warm, entertained, and can hunker down for a while, Don...

Reminds me of when we got 36" of snow overnight in an area that usually sees ~4" per year. That morning I tried to get my Chevy ZR2 out of the garage. shifted into 4H, front and rear axles locked, put it in reverse, and fed 'er the onions. It hooked up on the garage floor and shot out of the garage and then high-centered about 20' out the driveway. Spent 3 hours shoveling it out and using a come-along to keep it from sliding into a wood fence. Spent the rest of the day shoveling the driveway. The National Guard made a visit to our neighborhood the following week as they feared people were still trapped in their homes. Just months before we had turned down an offer for a free snowblower, saying it will never get used here.

I hope you're warm, entertained, and can hunker down for a while, Don...
Power is back on here. But it looks like I am locked in my own house for a while.

After I get my roof replaced at my Auburn house and have the Tesla PowerWall installed (continuously bad weather is causing major delays for the roofing company). I will do the same here in Reno. If all goes well there. Then I won't even know when the power went out unless I check on an app or run the 13.5 KWH battery down.

-Don- Reno, NV

-Don- Reno, NV
No emergency transfer switch and generator? I paid to have one installed the year after we bought this place after we had an ice storm, followed by 6" of snow that pulled down the power lines and we were on again/off again (mostly off) with power for 6 days and I had to manage with a small 2500w genny and extension cords. And cook food on the BBQ. We've only had to use it about 3 or 4 times since then - only once for an entire day - but just those few times has paid for itself.

No emergency transfer switch and generator?
I have a 4KW gas generator in the shed here which has NEVER been used. No gas or even oil in it. I bought it years ago but never used it. Still NIB.

I will end up with a Tesla Powerwall here anyway. Perhaps in the spring or summer, depending on how much I like the new system that will soon go at my Auburn house--whenever the weather gets dry there.

-Don- Reno, NV

The power goes out around here enough to keep a generator around. We also have a transfer switch. We once went 9 days without power. They've done a lot of maintenance for the incoming lines in the area so power outages are rarer, but 8-12 hours out isn't unheard of. Usually once per year with a wind storm, or when someone slams into a power pole. Most of the electricity is a want, but some isn't. Like power to run our well pump, for example.

Not sure if you can see the video or not. I don't want to breach any copyright.

Not sure if you can see the video or not. I don't want to breach any copyright.
I get this there:

"This content isn't available right now. When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted."

-Don- Reno, NV

My home was already equipped with a redneck transfer switch when I bought it. It's a 2-way wall light switch. In the "on" position the well pump and gas boiler circulation pump are powered from the grid. In the "off" position a cord long enough to plug into a small gennie outside the garage powers only those 2 items.
Wood stove is backup heat.
I have always had a gennie and woodpile ready. In 30 years we have used the gennie maybe 5 times, never longer than an 8 hour outage.
When the wood gets dried out I burn it for heat and/or campfire and buy a fresh cord to replace it.

And here is what it looks like here, mostly heavy snow all day and night here. It's now around foot deep here. But I hear they passed ten feet in some areas of the CA mtns.

BTW, this is a night photo from one of my eight HFT 4K camera set. It's 2200 hrs and very dark out there, but looks fairly light in these cameras:

1709445133470.png
Discontinued already it says. BTW, I hear now there are cameras that can do full color at night.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom