Don't take I-80 in CA mtns any time soon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So much traffic on that road? I guess the word didn't get out that it was going to snow.
Yeah, after the reports I heard, I wouldn't expect anybody to even try to get over the pass. But I-80 did stay open longer than I expected. But then it all came hard at once leaving people stuck where they are.

I-80 is still closed right now from Colfax, CA to Nevada. Colfax is 15 miles east of my Auburn house. My Auburn house is at 1.5k' elevation. Colfax is at 2.4K' elevation. Donner Summit is at 7,240'.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
A truck driver once told me that I-80 over Donner Summit is the most closed Interstate freeway in the USA.

In a web search trying to confirm that, I ran into this.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Just a lot of rain at my Auburn house where the temp is 47°/8.3°C :

1709496297166.png
-Don- Reno, NV (33°F./ 0.55°C here with light snow).

Last edited:
Snow got extremely heavy overnight here. I have no heat, no electricity. I am one of the 4,000 that has no juice in this part of Reno today.

I am using my portable stuff (same setup as RV, portable hot spot and laptop) from my sunroom right now. Light enough in here, but cold. I have a thick jacket on.

It's still snowing here, but now it's a light snow. Snow deep on the roads, around six inches deep or so. Looks like I am stuck inside for a while in a house with no electricity.

I-80 is still "Is closed from Colfax (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line - Due to Spinouts"

-Don- Reno, NV
Good luck.. Our power goes out enough for me to keep my genny operable.. I runs the well the heat and lights etc. but cant handle the Air conditioner.
No fun being without electricity. Hope its not too bad or lasts too long.
All the best.

I wonder how many folks ignored the warnings and headed to the slopes, then Monday morning call in to work with the excuse "I'm stuck up here in the snow and can't get home". Only had one employee use that excuse over the years.

I wonder how many folks ignored the warnings and headed to the slopes, then Monday morning call in to work with the excuse "I'm stuck up here in the snow and can't get home". Only had one employee use that excuse over the years.

I-80 is still closed:

"[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
Is closed from Colfax (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line - Due to snow"

-Don- Reno, NV

I-80 is still closed:

Is closed from Colfax (Placer Co) to the Nevada State Line - Due to snow"

-Don- Reno, NV
One year I went with a friend to visit her aunt in Reno as a winter storm moved in over a weekend. I-80 closed as we were getting ready to return on Sunday. We detoured down to US 50 through South Lake Tahoe only to find that route was also closed over Echo Summit. But people were lining up at the chain inspection station so we joined the line. Someone came by to confirm we had chains on and about a half hour later we caravanned over the summit behind a snowplow.

I was working for a news radio station and Monday morning I was in the office talking about our weekend adventure. The discussion caught the ear of our news editor, it turned out one of our reporters had a home in South Lake Tahoe and was on the air claiming the community was completely cut off from the outside world. And it would likely be several more days before he could get down from the mountains to come into work.

Looks nasty up there right now. Link to I-80 webcam at the summit:

Camera is now showing about one car every 15 seconds or so. The road doesn't look that bad, but I noticed while it was closed, it was being plowed.

Snow has stopped here also. And I got my Tesla out of the garage okay. I am now at Carl's Jr for breakfast. Nice to be able to get out of the house. The roads around here are now easy to drive on.

-Don- Reno, NV

I've got to say that i was impressed how they managed to keep the roads passable around lake Tahoe. During a ski trip to Heavenly valley, some years ago, we had to use chains to get over Donner pass and had to dig about a foot of snow out of the driveway at the cabin to get in.
It snowed another foot that night and we had to dig our way out. We skiid while it snowed all day and had to dig another foot out of the driveway to get back in. It was some of the best skiing we'd ever done

The amazing part was that the roads were kept clear and very passable.

I was surprised that the locals were complaining about the soft powder snow. Seems they are used to skiing on hard pack. :oops:

Safe travels and all the best.

I've got to say that i was impressed how they managed to keep the roads passable around lake Tahoe. During a ski trip to Heavenly valley, some years ago, we had to use chains to get over Donner pass and had to dig about a foot of snow out of the driveway at the cabin to get in.
It snowed another foot that night and we had to dig our way out. We skiid while it snowed all day and had to dig another foot out of the driveway to get back in. It was some of the best skiing we'd ever done

The amazing part was that the roads were kept clear and very passable.

I was surprised that the locals were complaining about the soft powder snow. Seems they are used to skiing on hard pack. :oops:

Safe travels and all the best.
It's now all over with, not even a chain control on I-80 at this time:

No traffic restrictions are reported for this area."

-Don- Reno, NV

I wonder if @Old_Crow will send us photos if his son still works there. Unless they are evacuated of course.
Yeah, they're both still there. Employees (at least my sons) don't get evacuated for weather events. One of them works in the employee housing office, and he worked every day even during the Covid shutdown in '20. The other boy works for the NPS on the water systems, so he stays busy too. I'll enclose the only pics I've gotten recently. They don't bother sending me snow pictures anymore, but he'll send me pictures of the "firefall" because I make fun of it. I tell him I'm old school and preferred the fire fall when it was actually fire falling. 3rd image is the old school version taken from somewhere on the 'net.

1709815770441.png
1709815835840.png

1709816074960.png

Back
Top Bottom