It's the best time ever to buy a used Tesla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A bit over 11K? Still no problem for at least one EV.

To Whitter is only 110 miles from Soldotna and you have a couple of places to charge up on the way. So the Cybertruck could make it.

But the Ford Ramcharger can tow 14,000 lbs and has a range of 690 miles (when not towing) when the gas genny is running. And can still recharge on the way and perhaps not use the gasoline. But you're carrying your own gasoline fast charger, so that gives many choices.

But yeah, the EV only range will be lousy towing 14K lbs. In fact, won't be all they great even with an ICE engine. Perhaps diesel is the way to go there.

But perhaps an EV for you isn't totally out of the question.

So if one offers you a Ford Ramcharger EV for "free" take it! You could even like it!:D

You may even want to consider it even if not for free.:unsure::D

-Don- Reno, NV
On the way? Cooper Landing have one? There’s almost nothing there.

On the way? Cooper Landing have one? There’s almost nothing there.
It’s possible, but I’m unaware of one and who cares. Your going fishing and crabbing, not charging. :cool:
These guys have no idea of weather and terrain and what happens when there is an accident with a fatality on the all the 2 lane roads in Alaska.

I also wonder if backing an electric vehicle down a boat ramp into salt water to launch a boat is a recommended or even a good idea. I’m unsure of wheel motors and wiring location. Lol

It’s possible, but I’m unaware of one and who cares. Your going fishing and crabbing, not charging. :cool:
These guys have no idea of weather and terrain and what happens when there is an accident with a fatality on the all the 2 lane roads in Alaska.
Yup. Except Whittier is shrimping. It’s Homer for crabbing.

Homer
IMG_4106.jpeg

Whittier
IMG_3827.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3261.jpeg
    IMG_3261.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 4
I stand corrected. :) I’d say if ya need a friend….but
#1 You get enough of that. :cry:
#2. I’m allergic to shrimp, so I avoid all shell fish. I get hives just touching it. Lol:LOL:
I do Russian river confluence salmon fishin and maybe a halibut outta Seward 1 time a year.

Lol. After a few hours buttons don’t work and hear sloshing. lol
Let’s wait weeks, months or years of regular boat launch.

Saw on CNN yesterday Tesla is laying off about 10% of it's workforce, in the same piece it was reported EV sales worldwide are lackluster and well below projected levels. Tesla however issued a statement to their employees reading, " these layoffs are what manufacturers routinely do when productivity increases" ( apparently an allusion to the Amazon Distribution Center philosophy, ie., the more items a worker picks, the fewer workers are required). One sign worker productivity is below corporate expectation is when rumors start circulating some of them are happy.

Saw on CNN yesterday Tesla is laying off about 10% of it's workforce, in the same piece it was reported EV sales worldwide are lackluster and well below projected levels. Tesla however issued a statement to their employees reading, " these layoffs are what manufacturers routinely do when productivity increases" ( apparently an allusion to the Amazon Distribution Center philosophy, ie., the more items a worker picks, the fewer workers are required). One sign worker productivity is below corporate expectation is when rumors start circulating some of them are happy.
Yah. And this is common for tesla as well. They have done this 5 times in 8 years and in every case their workforce was bigger than before after a year. I think it’s a way for clearing out low performers.

Yes, and my prediction is coming true faster than I expected, that EVs will soon be cheaper than ICE. Many types of EVs on the market these days.

But I think that could change soon, for a while at least, as the gas price is jumping up fast. More than five bucks per gallon for 87 octane here in Reno these days. Electricity here is 18 cents per KWH (one KWH is good for around 3.5 miles in my Tesla).

BTW, I saw my very first Cybertruck just a few days ago. Just down the block from me here.

Tesla has a lot of competition these days. And now that their great supercharging system is open to many other makes is probably working against Tesla. It's no longer a reason to buy Tesla.

-Don- Reno, NV

haha -note the diesel gen behind the fence...
Probably for the entire motel. That type of charger (Freewire) has a battery in it. They are often charged by solar in places where they do not get a lot of use. But it doesn't say on Plugshare how that one is powered.

You may laugh, but I see generators as an advantage of EVs for a couple of reasons:

1. You can convert gasoline/diesel to electricity for EVs, but you cannot convert electricity to gasoline or diesel for ICE cars.

2. It is still probably "greener" to use a generator on an EV than to run an ICE car. The genny has no stop and go, stays at a steady speed, unlike ICE cars. It is the varying speeds that cause the most pollution of ICE cars.

Example of a Freewire EV Fastcharger by solar (Middlegate, NV--out in the middle of the NV desert <note the solar roof>):

1713291993881.png

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
the gas price is jumping up fast.
That's a factor for sure, but as I've said for the last 25 plus years most people won't buy a new EV unless it solves a problem they have. Just as there isn't a rush for folks to trade in their 25 mpg ICE cars for 30 mpg ones when they're introduced, even a demonstrable increase in economy an EV might offer isn't an automatic draw. No matter how into economy you are, it's rarely economical to jump into new cars regularly. There are a *lot* of people driving 3 ton plus behemoths around and fuel prices have to go up pretty high before those get traded in. I could probably cut my fuel costs (kWh vs gas) in half by switching to an EV. But it would cost me tens of thousands in acquisition cost, plus new car insurance rates, and lost opportunity. Spend many thousands to save a few hundred a year. If you're one to trade cars in regularly then maybe you'd take a shot with an EV for a while but if you're willing to pee away that much equity on an ongoing basis, you're not worried about fuel cost anyway. What problem does this solve? My personal belief is that there is a market for EV's just as there is a market for sports cars, SUV's and pickup trucks. But in order for someone to adopt an EV vs ICE, all things being equal, it has to solve a problem they have. Could be fuel prices, could be a perception of saving the planet, could be for fun or sport. All perfectly valid but those will be a subset of the number required for mass adoption no matter how you sell it. Even in the midst of the "oil crisis" in the 70's that kicked Detroit in the arse and brought economical japanese cars to the forefront, not everyone wanted japanese cars. Tesla's been shrinking back for a while now. I think they've tapped out the early adopters and the masses aren't buying into EV adoption as the government is attempting to orchestrate. Even with an EV mandate in place it's a hard row to hoe and I think a bit pie in the sky irrespective of EV street prices. Short of ceasing production of ICE vehicles, EV adoption would organically occur much more gradually, even if it's a good fit for most consumers. Average car ownership is 8 years, which means some folks (like me) keep their cars even longer. The natural half life of folks trading in cars is well past the artificial adoption dates being set. What problem do EV's solve - when it's problems consumers have, then you could see accelerated demand. I don't believe even today EV's are more than a niche or curiosity and even if less than the cost of ICE it still may not be cost effective to trade out of a perfectly good ICE.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom