NEED HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc50

Hello everyone,
I need some help. I have a 2022 Open Range 172FB that I just bought used. When I left the dealership, the brake lights worked fine. I bought a back up camera system to connect to the prewired connection. At first, there seemed to be no power to the prewired connection. Now, the brake lights and rear running lights are not working, but the forward running lights do work. I've checked the cable connection that runs from the trailer to the tow vehicle and it's fine. All fuses in the trailer and tow vehicle are fine. I'm at a complete loss. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Doc

What is this "prewired connection"? Something for adding a camera or ??? Sorry - most of us aren't familiar with your particular trailer's features, so please explain further.

Start by verifying that the tow vehicle side of the connector(s) have the voltage or ground specified for each pin. Grounds are especially problematic in trailer wiring and a poor ground can cause really flaky problems

I checked out the specs for the 2022 Open Range 172FB and it does come from the factory prewired for a backup camera.
At first, there seemed to be no power to the prewired connection. Now, the brake lights and rear running lights are not working, but the forward running lights do work.
Are you saying that you now have power to the backup camera but lost the rear running lights? Do you have brake lights? Did you confirm that the camera harness didn't have power with a meter, or did it just fail to turn on? If the latter it might have power but no ground. Is there a wire for the backup camera in the harness from your tow vehicle to power it when you go to reverse, or what should turn it on? The fact that the front running lights work is a pretty good indication that the trailer has a good ground to the tow vehicle but that could be the problem with things on the rear of your trailer, especially if they all share a common ground, which is quite possible. You can easily use an ohm meter to check the ground lead for the camera and also the tail lights to the frame of the trailer. While you are about it you could check for continuity between the ground pins of the different items.

In my opinion, a better test for "continuity" is with actual currents. One can bypass the trailer wiring and trailer ground with a direct connect to the 7-pin source and at least isolate the open to one or the other. Since left, right, brake and run are usually separate supplies to their respective filaments, to have all of those go inop at once implies a bad ground, but some quick tests at some of the lamp assemblies will prove that.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I''m guessing the ground lead from front to rear got messed up.
As for the No power.. back up cameras often get power from back up lights but not all trailers have a back up light lead.

Hello everyone,
I need some help. I have a 2022 Open Range 172FB that I just bought used. When I left the dealership, the brake lights worked fine. I bought a back up camera system to connect to the prewired connection. At first, there seemed to be no power to the prewired connection. Now, the brake lights and rear running lights are not working, but the forward running lights do work. I've checked the cable connection that runs from the trailer to the tow vehicle and it's fine. All fuses in the trailer and tow vehicle are fine. I'm at a complete loss. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice?

Doc
My last two campers were pre-wired for rear cameras. Both (one a Coleman, the other a Coachmen), powered the camera from the rear upper running lights. IOW, lights on, camera on. A simple installation that had nothing to do with the brake/taillight units. There were no backup lights involved.
Good luck!

If you remove the camera from the "pre-wired connector" do the rest of the lights work, again?
Something happened between
“… At first, there seemed to be no power to the prewired connection….”
and
“…Now, the brake lights and rear running lights are not working, but the forward running lights do work…”

We don’t know how the OP wired his camera.

Something happened between
“… At first, there seemed to be no power to the prewired connection….”
and
“…Now, the brake lights and rear running lights are not working, but the forward running lights do work…”

We don’t know how the OP wired his camera.
Yeah, I got that. But, there is a lot of missing information here.
And for troubleshooting a wiring problem, one needs to go back to step one, and start over.
And if, "All the fuses and breakers seem to be working," then I suggest that he has not found "All the fuses and breakers." And, if he actually has proven all the breakers and fuses are good, then there is a broken or disconnected power line somewhere that needs to be hunted down and repaired or reconnected.

It's kinda that simple. (not easy, but simple, and tedious)

I had a GMC truck that had a separate fuse for trailer lights. I didn't know that was a "thing" until then. I had a trailer that blew that fuse from day one.

What is your tow vehicle?

What worked/didn't work before you touched it? No offense, but it's usually the last thing worked on.

Hello everyone,

Doc
Hello Doc, welcome to the RV Forum, There are lots of experts here to help you solve your problem. Be patient and they will help you solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom