Sad Event at Quartzsite (with a silver lining)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a long conversation with Paul Umack from Fridge Defender. I met him back in 2013. He is going to do a detailed analysis of the failure point on the refer in conjunction with the expert hired by Progressive.

Paul is using the evidence from this fire for a detailed analysis for a new article he is writing.
If there was a failure point on the refrigerator, neither Fridge Defend or the Norcold High Temp Sensor would have prevented a fire due to an issue with propane delivery. It would be interesting to hear what they determine.

I'd like to install a small auto deploying fire extenguisher in mine, but finding just a small wall mount unit that I don't need a second mortgage for and the product description isn't in chinglish is proving elusive,

Has anyone ever thought of putting a smoke detector behind the fridge? That would give you plenty of time to get out and it would alert a neighbor to call the fire dept.
Seems like a good thought but wondering if there is a smoke detector available that would function properly in that type of area? I suppose you could turn the smoke detector on once you are parked. Driving around with the smoke detector on may activate it with exposure to moisture and/or dust?

If there was a failure point on the refrigerator, neither Fridge Defend or the Norcold High Temp Sensor would have prevented a fire due to an issue with propane delivery. It would be interesting to hear what they determine.
I think they just shut down the 12v power which will cause the propane valve to close (unless it is stuck). So yes, If they sense the fire they will stop the propane, hopefully before the fire keeps spreading on its own.

An automatic fire extinguisher is great for the traditional fridge fire, where it leaks the ammonia and hydrogen gas out and is ignited by the gas flame. However, it won't do any good on a propane fire, where the fire is fueled by excessively high pressure propane. This is where having a fire sensor that actuates a spring loaded off gas valve (much like the ones used on older motor homes) would be great to have.

Having a stainless steel flame shield would stop the flame from spreading due to high pressure gas, at least long enough for a thermal switch to shut the gas off.

While that motor home looks like a mess, it is the plastic that did most of the burning, and remember the roof is made of styrofoam, that is why it is gone completely. I'll bet if Blll digs in the mess his flight jacket is still there, possibly in cleanable condition. Leather is very resistant to burning, that is why they were used for flight jackets. Much of the mess is the roof having fallen in on everything. Ever set fire to a small white styrofoam cup? it just melts and shrivels to a gooey mess. The Luan plywood burned as it is very thin and doesn't take much to get it going. The sidewalls are largely intact, except for the hole in the side just aft of the fridge. That is why I say the gas pressure possibly went high and turned it into a blowtorch. That one hole is not easily explained away.

I will be very interested to see what brand of gas regulator it had in it.

Charles

Last edited:
I actually have an idea about why the area to the right of the fridge might have received more damaged than normal.

I had a tool bag full of MIlwaukee tools sitting on the floor in that exact location.

I believe that all of the small LIthium batteries for the tools were located in chargers located in the upper cabinet above the couch in the front of the RV where I normally keep them.

It may be possible that one of the batteries may have been still plugged into a tool in the tool bag.

I do not know if a small lithium battery would be ignited by the fridge fire and burn at an accelerated rate, or if even there was one in there.

Just another idea.

Attachments

• 20231208_095257.jpg
    20231208_095257.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 14
I'd like to install a small auto deploying fire extenguisher in mine, but finding just a small wall mount unit that I don't need a second mortgage for and the product description isn't in chinglish is proving elusive,
The Protemg product is designed specifically for this type of installation, but it is pretty expensive. I have a few friends who full time, and they installed them. Luckily none of them have had a situation where they were needed though.

On a fridge located in a slideout the top access door would work. On a regular install, you could build some type of hook and just reach up as far as you can and hook it on anything.
You'd need to replace battery or unit unless it had long life battery.

I think they just shut down the 12v power which will cause the propane valve to close (unless it is stuck). So yes, If they sense the fire they will stop the propane, hopefully before the fire keeps spreading on its own.

An automatic fire extinguisher is great for the traditional fridge fire, where it leaks the ammonia and hydrogen gas out and is ignited by the gas flame. However, it won't do any good on a propane fire, where the fire is fueled by excessively high pressure propane. This is where having a fire sensor that actuates a spring loaded off gas valve (much like the ones used on older motor homes) would be great to have.

Having a stainless steel flame shield would stop the flame from spreading due to high pressure gas, at least long enough for a thermal switch to shut the gas off.

While that motor home looks like a mess, it is the plastic that did most of the burning, and remember the roof is made of styrofoam, that is why it is gone completely. I'll bet if Blll digs in the mess his flight jacket is still there, possibly in cleanable condition. Leather is very resistant to burning, that is why they were used for flight jackets. Much of the mess is the roof having fallen in on everything. Ever set fire to a small white styrofoam cup? it just melts and shrivels to a gooey mess. The Luan plywood burned as it is very thin and doesn't take much to get it going. The sidewalls are largely intact, except for the hole in the side just aft of the fridge. That is why I say the gas pressure possibly went high and turned it into a blowtorch. That one hole is not easily explained away.

I will be very interested to see what brand of gas regulator it had in it.

Charles
Me too.

Charles wrote:

While that motor home looks like a mess, it is the plastic that did most of the burning, and remember the roof is made of styrofoam, that is why it is gone completely. I'll bet if Blll digs in the mess his flight jacket is still there, possibly in cleanable condition. Leather is very resistant to burning, that is why they were used for flight jackets. Much of the mess is the roof having fallen in on everything. Ever set fire to a small white styrofoam cup? it just melts and shrivels to a gooey
mess.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________-

The flight jacket was sitting on top of a tool case on the passenger seat.

Looking at the picture below. I am sure the jacket is toast.

Attachments

• 20231208_104115.jpg
    20231208_104115.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 21
Those of us who have been in the passenger seats, in Alaska, in January, in inclement weather. :sick:
I'm definitely in that club. Though not often in a Huey, my pilots were very often Vietnam vets. Just a handful of guys that I had the pleasure of getting to know well over the years.
I got spoiled. Young pilots make me nervous. Especially flying the cheesy Robinsons that are showing up in more and more fleets.

Just finished the installation of Fridge Defend in my Toy Hauler. Not ideal installation weather when it only gets up to 40 but it is ready when we head out in February.

The murals are graphic prints of two of the paintings by Joe Kline.

I already have ordered and received the two murals.

I am just waiting for a nice day to install them. I get a little nervous installing them.

I did it before and I am sure I can do it again but they cost $497.00 so I do not want to hurry and get wrinkles in them.

I tried to attach the proof but it was to large, so I took pictures of the murals with my phone and transferred them to the computer.

Attachments

• 20231223_003232.jpg
    20231223_003232.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231223_003650.jpg
    20231223_003650.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members