Sad Event at Quartzsite (with a silver lining)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow really cool that you found the same model that you had. love the Huey mural, so I would hope you add them back. besides who doesn't love a Huey.
Those of us who have been in the passenger seats, in Alaska, in January, in inclement weather. :sick:

Update:

The replacement process continues:

The Murals will be here tomorrow.

Mr Hawk spent two days buffing out the replacement RV. Below are some before and after pictures.

I got all the solar panels connected to the lay in mounting system.

I had a long conversation with Paul Umack from Fridge Defender. I met him back in 2013. He is going to do a detailed analysis of the failure point on the refer in conjunction with the expert hired by Progressive.

Paul is using the evidence from this fire for a detailed analysis for a new article he is writing.

Attachments

• 20231217_085204.jpg
    20231217_085204.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231217_085219.jpg
    20231217_085219.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231217_085236.jpg
    20231217_085236.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231218_130716.jpg
    20231218_130716.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231218_130739.jpg
    20231218_130739.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231218_130755.jpg
    20231218_130755.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231218_130804.jpg
    20231218_130804.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231218_131819.jpg
    20231218_131819.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231218_131830.jpg
    20231218_131830.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231218_131840.jpg
    20231218_131840.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 11
Update:

Mr Hawk spent two days buffing out the replacement RV. Below are some before and after pictures.

I had a long conversation with Paul Umack from Fridge Defender. I met him back in 2013. He is going to do a detailed analysis of the failure point on the refer in conjunction with the expert hired by Progressive.

Paul is using the evidence from this fire for a detailed analysis for a new article he is writing.
Did the refrigerator have the Fridge Defend? Was it unlevel?

Last edited:
It did not have the Fridge defend and that makes it a good canidate for doing a failure analysis.

It was level as you can see in all the pictures.

I had a Fridge Defend installed by Paul on my country Coach back in 2013.

I later swapped it out for a residential refer.

Last edited:
It seems like I keep finding things that were in or on the old RV that I have to reorder.

I just ordered a Verizon 5G MiFi as a backup for Internet.

Also ordered the new version Starlink mobile antenna that just came out today.

A gazillion little things are being ordered as I remember them.

Update:

It looks great, with that lay in mounting system, how does it seal as to not leak when installed? I am still learning this stuff. and with the Panels flat are you still getting a good charge?

It did not have the Fridge defend and that makes it a good canidate for doing a failure analysis.
I would like to know the make and model of the one which caught fire. And if there were any outstanding recalls or anything like that.

It was years ago, but somebody once came to my house to do an update to the Dometic refrigerator in my Y2K RV. It was supposed to help prevent such fires. And the techs came out to the owners as they wanted to make sure they all got completed.

This is the same refrigerator I added the Fridge Defend in a couple of years ago on Kirk's advice.

I did NOT (at least not yet) add the Fride Defend to my 4-door Norcold in my 2022 Class A.

-Don- Reno, NV

I just ordered a Verizon 5G MiFi as a backup for Internet.
Is it this one? This is the one I use. Works very well, but it seems it takes half the day to just boot up. Same with my 5G Verizon cell phone.
orbic-speed-5gt-hero-creative-2021

-Don- Reno, NV

It looks great, with that lay in mounting system, how does it seal as to not leak when installed? I am still learning this stuff. and with the Panels flat are you still getting a good charge?

I used the same mounting system on the Rv that caught fire. I think that it is more secure than just using metal mounts and it is aerodynamic. It is mounted with Siflex adhesive under the mounts. Being a belt and suspenders type guy I also used stainless steel screws and top it with Dicor.

Here is a link to the mounts.

With 1,800 watts I get about 130 amps of charging. Tilting would probably increase it but with my roof layout would cause shadows on the second row.

I would like to know the make and model of the one which caught fire. And if there were any outstanding recalls or anything like that.

It was years ago, but somebody once came to my house to do an update to the Dometic refrigerator in my Y2K RV. It was supposed to help prevent such fires. And the techs came out to the owners as they wanted to make sure they all got completed.

This is the same refrigerator I added the Fridge Defend in a couple of years ago on Kirk's advice.

I did NOT (at least not yet) add the Fride Defend to my 4-door Norcold in my 2022 Class A.

-Don- Reno, NV
The fridge is a Norcold model N61. I bought it used so I did not get any recalls.

After this fire, It seems like a good idea. In addition to losing the RV, the big issue is all the contents were lost.

I did the defender on my fridge in my country Coach back in 2013, then changes it to residential.

The fridge is a Norcold model N61

Norcold has issued a recall for the High Temperature Sensor on some of its refrigerators, including the N61X model

1. The recall number is 10E-049 The affected models are 1200LR, 1200LRIM, 1201LRIM, 1210, and 1211 1. The recall applies to units produced between January 1, 2003 and October 6, 2010 1. If you are unsure whether your refrigerator has been recalled or not, you can check the serial number of your unit on Norcold’s website 1. If your refrigerator falls within the recall range, it is recommended that you stop using it immediately and contact a Norcold Authorized Service Center to get your unit inspected and the High Temperature Sensor kit ordered and installed 1. Owners of recalled refrigerators should not operate their refrigerator until it can be professionally repaired by a Norcold Authorized Service Center.

Failure to follow these instructions can result in a fire causing injury or death 1.
For more information on the recall, you can visit Norcold’s website 1. You can also call Norcold at 1-800-767-9101 from Monday to Friday between 8:00 am to 8:00 pm EST 1.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

If it was not destroyed or badly affected by the fire, pull the propane regulator and have it tested for excessive pressure.

Chales

Back
Top Bottom