Should I switch from a travel trailer to a Class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bzerull

We have a 25’ travel trailer that we enjoy very much, but get tired of unhooking, rehooking and traveling with a long tow rig. We tow with an f-150 crew cab. Thinking of a small class C (under 30’). A class C, because i have indoor storage, but has to be under 11’ in height. Should we make the change? Has anyone done this that was happy with the decision? Pro’s/cons? My wife and I are both in very good health, I’ll turn 75 in a few days and she is younger than I. Would appreciate any input you can offer.

We bought a new class c last spring as our first choice. Love it. We wanted a configuration where we could have a king bed, a washer and dryer and 2 air conditioners. If you’re thinking new, have it inspected, we had several big issues we had to address which we thought buying new they wouldn’t exist - but they do. It’s plenty for us and 4 cats!

Yes
I definitely prefer rv-ing in a motorhome compared to a trailer. The automatic leveling system is my favourite feature and I find the driving much nicer also.
Being 75 is no different, for me, than being 74 although I do plan on doing more travelling this summer :)

I'm 76 and I went from a very nice 34' 5th wheel to a 31' class A, and extremely happy with the decision... And I 2nd the auto leveling system, so I would look to make sure that feature is on what ever you go with... Oh, and I have a TOAD so, that I can get around... I much prefer this set up to a 5th wheel..
Butch

I definitely prefer rv-ing in a motorhome compared to a trailer.
It seems to me that most RVs are towed. Not even close to the number of motorhomes.

I prefer not towing anything at all, but the way I see it, there are advantages and disadvantages of any of the choices.

The best choice for somebody could be the worse choice for somebody else and vice versa.

-Don- Reno, NV

JudyB is my role model for Class Cs. She gets along everywhere without a toad and enjoys (probably) the van type driving experience.

Generally on a "standard" chassis you can get mechanical work done just about anywhere.

If you don't have tons to carry or tons to tow a class C is a great choice. One thing I especially like is an overhead berth - out of the way 90% of the time and a bonus berth for the occasional grandkid or visitor.

Reminds me a lot of a boat's forward v-berth. 90% of the time I stored spare sails in there - LOL...

BTW - I am looking for a used 25-ish TT - It's great to get one word of mouth from a "trusted" member. Also looking to spend not so much. Where are you located? If you get serious about selling send me a PM...

While we have been RVing for years, first with towed trailers, then 2 different motorhomes, then back to a travel trailer. I do prefer the motorhome for travel but suggest that you also look at the smaller class A's that are available as some are no taller than the typical class C and I really think that you would be happier with a class A. Keep in mind that if you change to any motorhome you will then need to brake camp to go anywhere or you can tow something to drive. We started our first class A just taking bicycles to get around and that was OK when we were in our 50's but once we towed a car the first time we continued to do that the entire time that we traveled in a motorhome. I would consider it easier to tow a car and stay in a motorhome than it is to tow a travel trailer which doesn't have leveling jacks.

You also need to realize the increased cost of any motorized RV over that of a travel trailer, especially if you plan to keep the truck either way. We downsized from a 36' class A to a 20' travel trailer and truck at the age of 70 and with practice leveling wasn't that difficult but we did tend to stay connected to the truck more than we did with the tow car when traveling in the motorhome. We are now in our early 80's. I don't think that we would want to change to any motorhome unless we also towed something to drive.

I've been looking at trailers, lately. The main reason we went with the Class C was because we would need to buy a tow vehicle. and the expense of acquiring both tower and towee at the time was intimidating.
I've now "Inherited" a decent Dodge 2500 and we are looking at trailers to trade our Class C in for.
I think that I will likely land in the square for keeping the Class C, though. I tend to like the self-contained aspect of the motorized RV. But, I still feel the need to explore the options.

There are disadvantages to be found in whatever type of rig we select. It's all about what we are willing to settle for.

If the trailer hitch/unhitch and manual leveling have become a hassle for you then it's probably a good move. That assumes you get the leveling system, which is usually an optional upgrade on a C. That makes a world of difference in setting up camp. The rest of making/leaving camp is probably about the same.

However, you will probably want to towed car so you don't have to break camp to sight-see or make a grocery run. It's not a necessity, but much more convenient if you stay at a campsite longer than a weekend. Would that defeat the purpose of the switch for you? The car hitch/unhitch is easier than the trailer, but still the same sort of chore. There is somewhat of a difference towing when your tow vehicle is long (the motorhome) and the towed vehicle (a car) is short. A towed car tracks nicely with the motorhome and most owners say it's like it is not even there.

An alternative might be to install a leveling system on your trailer. Cheaper than trading, but you are still towing a fairly long train.

If you're not sure, I would suggest renting one for a trip or two and see how it works for you.

We are very satisfied with our 20 ft TT. Most of the RV sites we visit have pretty level sites, so leveling most of the time just involves backing in until the indicator reads level. We only used our elipticals for leveling once last year.

Hitching and unhitching are the only other considerations. Connecting/disconnecting to hook-ups would be the same for any RV.

The TT allows us to use our tow vehicle to visit local attractions without disconnecting from the water electric and sewer connections.

The choice you make should be based on the type of camping activities you enjoy and your personal preferences.

Saft travels and all the best.

As I see it the great advantage of a motorhome is that it is more self contained, generally has larger tankage, has an onboard generator, and perhaps most importantly you can get to the kitchen and bathroom from the drivers seat without the need to go outside. This can be particularly handy when arriving at an RV park during a torrential downpour, which has happened to us more than once, one case that comes to mind was only about 70 miles from home as a strong cold front was rolling in, we oped to pull off and stop for the night, we were able to check in at the RV park just as the rain started, but it had turned into a downpour before we made it to our site. We then spent the next 2-3 hours in the coach, fixing eating dinner, watching TV on inverter power, etc. all before venturing out to plug into shore power.

JudyB is my role model for Class Cs. She gets along everywhere without a toad and enjoys (probably) the van type driving experience.

Generally on a "standard" chassis you can get mechanical work done just about anywhere.

If you don't have tons to carry or tons to tow a class C is a great choice. One thing I especially like is an overhead berth - out of the way 90% of the time and a bonus berth for the occasional grandkid or visitor.

Reminds me a lot of a boat's forward v-berth. 90% of the time I stored spare sails in there - LOL...

BTW - I am looking for a used 25-ish TT - It's great to get one word of mouth from a "trusted" member. Also looking to spend not so much. Where are you located? If you get serious about selling send me a PM...
I am in the Milwaukee area. We have a 21 Grand Design 22mle, stored inside always when not in use, which we really like, so would be hard to give up. Thank you much for the input. Will definitely keep you in mind.

We decided renting a car instead of a toad is the way to go. We do this when we stay for longer periods of time. When you add up all the expenses of a car you can tow, (which we didn’t have, also afraid of extra length) made sense to us. It’s worked out great so far.

It seems to me (from this thread) most prefer motorhomes, just as I do. So why do 5th wheels and such outnumber motorhomes by about ten to one that I see on the road and in RV parks?

-Don- Reno, NV

We decided renting a car instead of a toad is the way to go.
We initially tried that, but soon were in a place where rental cars weren't available (Quartzsite) and it wasn't feasible to take the motorhome to any place we wanted to see, so got a toad -- since it was a Jeep, that also made it possible for us to do some off-roading in various places, including Quartzsite and Moab.

And so many times over the years that we were thankful that we had a toad. But your needs may well vary from what ours were.

It seems to me (from this thread) most prefer motorhomes, just as I do. So why do 5th wheels and such outnumber motorhomes by about ten to one that I see on the road and in RV parks?

-Don- Reno, NV
Because you can use the tow vehicle for every day use. Can't do that with a MH. MH ties up a lot more money than many of us have. Not criticizing, just reality. If you can do it, more power to you. I don't begrudge anyone for their sucess.

Because you can use the tow vehicle for every day use.
I realize that and also the nice advantage that you can use the truck when parked at an RV park. That's a big advantage over my motorcycle when I had three days of nonstop rain when I was in south Texas a few months ago.

I never thought about it being a money issue because I see a lot of people towing a very expensive 5th wheels with a new diesel pickup truck and this type of thing, quite commonly.

-Don- Reno, NV

I realize that and also the nice advantage that you can use the truck when parked at an RV park. That's a big advantage over my motorcycle when I had three days of nonstop rain when I was in south Texas a few months ago.

I never thought about it being a money issue because I see a lot of people towing a very expensive 5th wheels with a new diesel pickup truck and this type of thing, quite commonly.

-Don- Reno, NV
But not everyone can do that. In my case, bought my new TT for 16,500, Including tax, another 2000 to equip it the way I wanted it. Already had the tow vehicle, 23 years old by the way, so no cost there. Sold my poptop for 4000. Total investment, less than 15,000. How much does a new MH cost, even the smallest one.? Yeah, for a lot of us it is a money decision. Would I like a MH? Absolutely. Can I afford it? Nope. If I ever win the lottery I will get one of those million dollar MHs that you park a car on a hydraulic platform Under the belly of the MH.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore1947
Back
Top Bottom