Should I switch from a travel trailer to a Class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep in mind a 24' Class C isn't any longer than a dually long bed pickup truck and very little wider if at all. IMO you don't need a toad if you get a short Class C. A 24' was my first choice but don't make the same mistake I did. My wife was happy with getting a 24'. But not after she saw the 30' with the large shower and half sized tub separate from the toilet plus the large bedroom in the back away from the living room and kitchen. Once she went back she never went back. To the 24' :)

JudyB is my role model for Class Cs. She gets along everywhere without a toad and enjoys (probably) the van type driving experience.

Generally on a "standard" chassis you can get mechanical work done just about anywhere.

If you don't have tons to carry or tons to tow a class C is a great choice. One thing I especially like is an overhead berth - out of the way 90% of the time and a bonus berth for the occasional grandkid or visitor.

Reminds me a lot of a boat's forward v-berth. 90% of the time I stored spare sails in there - LOL...

BTW - I am looking for a used 25-ish TT - It's great to get one word of mouth from a "trusted" member. Also looking to spend not so much. Where are you located? If you get serious about selling send me a PM...
And I can throw my hall rug into the shower, throw stuff from counter into kitchen sink, put my slides in, unplug electric, and maybe even roll up my water hose in about 4 minutes! When co-camping with my son who has a 30' trailer, I can unhook and dump at the dump station, as well as return to my camp site, while he is still hooking up his trailer.

Trailers are good for staying a long time in one spot with full hookups, while motorhomes are good for moving around a lot and staying without full hookups.

Can I afford it? Nope. I
Buy used then and get what you want.

IMO, buying new is for suckers. It's just that I am one of those suckers. ;)

I wonder if my Class A is now worth half of what I paid for it a couple of years ago. I kinda doubt it. Not that I care.

-Don- Reno, NV

We decided renting a car instead of a toad is the way to go. We do this when we stay for longer periods of time. When you add up all the expenses of a car you can tow, (which we didn’t have, also afraid of extra length) made sense to us. It’s worked out great so far.
This is what we did when needed for about the first 5 years and 20,000+ miles of our travels, but eventually we invested in a small cheap used TOAD, which has made travel a lot more convenient.

Buy used then and get what you want.

IMO, buying new is for suckers. It's just that I am one of those suckers. ;)

I wonder if my Class A is now worth half of what I paid for it a couple of years ago. I kinda doubt it. Not that I care.

-Don- Reno, NV
IMO, buying used is asking for trouble. Seller is getting rid of it for a reason. I don't want to be the one finding out why.

IMO, buying used is asking for trouble. Seller is getting rid of it for a reason. I don't want to be the one finding out why.
Reasons could be the high gas price, don't have the time for RVing. Got bored with it, not used often enough, and countless other things.

BTW, buying new is also asking for trouble. It's very rare to be able to buy new with no issues. Often by the time one buys used, all those issues were taken care of.

Some say this topic belongs in the joke section.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
But not everyone can do that. In my case, bought my new TT for 16,500, Including tax, another 2000 to equip it the way I wanted it. Already had the tow vehicle, 23 years old by the way, so no cost there. Sold my poptop for 4000. Total investment, less than 15,000. How much does a new MH cost, even the smallest one.? Yeah, for a lot of us it is a money decision. Would I like a MH? Absolutely. Can I afford it? Nope. If I ever win the lottery I will get one of those million dollar MHs that you park a car on a hydraulic platform Under the belly of the MH.
If you're ok with a 23 year old pickup you can get a 23 year old Class C with the same drivetrain for $5000 and 1/4 the miles. Good old RVs are out there. In my case the sellers only drove it 56K miles in 17 years and in their mid 80's just got too old to camp anymore. Which selling due to the owner's age is a lot more common in the RV world than the used car world. So some else's problem doesn't necessarily translate to your problem.

Because you can use the tow vehicle for every day use. Can't do that with a MH. MH ties up a lot more money than many of us have.
We have an F150 and Ford Escape that stay at home. Neither would be good trade ins. A toad for us would be a 3rd car, not in the cards $$. Plus, we feel the toad adds unnecessary danger for us. 30 ft MH is enough of a challenge. With rentals, you get a different car with each destination, like the Camry we have this time. I’ve never driven a Camry. It’s nice, fast.
And I can throw my hall rug into the shower, throw stuff from counter into kitchen sink, put my slides in, unplug electric, and maybe even roll up my water hose in about 4 minutes! When co-camping with my son who has a 30' trailer, I can unhook and dump at the dump station, as well as return to my camp site, while he is still hooking up his trailer.
4 minutes is a goal! We’re under 10 minutes and I leave the hall rug down. Makes a mess if I’ve been lazy with my sweeping. The slides go right over it no problem. It’s the cat water bowl that slows me down, damn thing spills on the way to the sink. Looking at another system besides a bowl.😻

Trailers are good for staying a long time in one spot with full hookups, while motorhomes are good for moving around a lot and staying without full hookups.
I've had both types of RVs over the years. With a trailer leaving the campsite for things like going to the store or sightseeing can be spur of the moment instead of having to break camp and then set everything back up when I return. Just grab my wallet, phone, keys and go. I don't know about you, but I do these things much more frequently than a once a week trip to the dump station. I prefer to boondock or stay in undeveloped campgrounds and with solar and large holding tanks a trailer does this very well. And I don't have to worry about someone taking over my campsite while I'm gone, the trailer is a pretty good indication the space is occupied.

When I'm on the move and only stopping overnight I can operate in "motorhome mode" by not unhitching the truck. Setup and breaking camp then becomes the same as being in a motorhome.

You don't have this kind of flexibility with a motorhome unless you drag along a toad, which creates it's own set of issues.

I can see wanting to go from a TT to a motorhome.

We started our RV adventures with a motorhome, didn't want to bother with a TT. Too much manual setup and teardown. We prefer the luxuries of a MH. And the travel experience. To solve the issue of getting around at our destination, we have a toad. Either way you're towing - need to tow a TT, or need to tow a toad with a MH. It's a more expensive way to go, but hey, leisure travels are about comfort and enjoyment and a TT wouldn't give us what we need there.

I think a large percentage of those trailers are smaller ones, say under 26 ft. Including popups, tear drops, hybrids, etc. All units that are much less expensive than the least motorhome and towable with half-ton pickup or an SUV that many families already own. Costwise, the crossover point probably somewhere around 30 ft, where the trailer plus a larger, more capable, tow vehicle reaches the price range of a modest motorhome.

Another cost-related factor is the owners willingness to have a $100k-$1M coach just sitting idle when it is only used 5-10 times/year. And costing more to maintain & insure too.

Cost isn't the only reason, though, and some of them have already been mentioned here.

If you're ok with a 23 year old pickup you can get a 23 year old Class C with the same drivetrain for $5000 and 1/4 the miles. Good old RVs are out there. In my case the sellers only drove it 56K miles in 17 years and in their mid 80's just got too old to camp anymore. Which selling due to the owner's age is a lot more common in the RV world than the used car world. So some else's problem doesn't necessarily translate to your problem.
Actually, its a 23 year old conversion van, but it only has 81,000 miles on it, so I think its still got life in it.

I think a large percentage of those trailers are smaller ones, say under 26 ft. Including popups, tear drops, hybrids, etc. All units that are much less expensive than the least motorhome and towable with half-ton pickup or an SUV that many families already own. Costwise, the crossover point probably somewhere around 30 ft, where the trailer plus a larger, more capable, tow vehicle reaches the price range of a modest motorhome.

Another cost-related factor is the owners willingness to have a $100k-$1M coach just sitting idle when it is only used 5-10 times/year. And costing more to maintain & insure too.

Cost isn't the only reason, though, and some of them have already been mentioned here.
Exactly my point, Gary. Thank you.

It seems to me that the best choice is to get what you need to satisfy your plans according to your resources. FWIW we started out years ago with a conversion van.

At this point in our lives, with just the two of us, our TT completely satisfies our needs at a much lower cost than any single use vehicle like the Class A,B or C's. I looked into things like purchase price, annual registration fees, insurance, maintenance, like oil changes, tires brakes, tune ups, depreciation etc. Our TT also has a pretty hefty payload capability (over 2400 lbs), allowing us to bring pretty much whatever we want.

While we can boondock for a weekend with only battery power, we have A 4500-watt inverter generator with remote start stop, carried in a front mounted hitch carrier that will power everything we need when we want it, if we decide we need to bring it.

Hooking up to a bumper hitch with a back-up camera is a snap, with installing the WDH bars requiring the most effort. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes max to un-hitch/hitch, disconnect/ connect hookups and to power drill the stabilizers up/down.

We don't have to un-hitch for single night stays. Using a level indicator we just back in until it shows a level condition. Only used the leveling ellipticals once last year. Another perk for me is not having to wait for a tow truck to change a flat tire, having manageable torques for TV and TT lug nuts.

Having said all that, we normally take about 7 or so trips per year, usually don't spend more that 2 weeks at a time on most trips, boondock occasionally and don't intend to go cross country.

So there you have It. Those are all of the factors we took into account in making our selection.

Hopefully it will help you decide what's best for you.

Safe travels and all the best.

Last edited:
Exactly my point, Gary. Thank you.
another consideration is the type of camping that you do.
I for one prefer a smaller ( 28 ft ) TT and a 4x4 truck, I can and have gone many places that a low clearance MH would never be able to drive. I havn't been in a campground with hook ups since 2016
and prefer boondocking in offroad places, a MH is clearly not suitable for my style.

It seems to me that most RVs are towed. Not even close to the number of motorhomes.

I prefer not towing anything at all, but the way I see it, there are advantages and disadvantages of any of the choices.

The best choice for somebody could be the worse choice for somebody else and vice versa.

-Don- Reno, NV
We're going to sell our DP MH and buy a Cl C 26' MH, and not tow a car, because we are not physically able to travel long distances now. I'm still thinking of visiting my cousin in Yahats OR again before one of us kicks the can. I've only seen him once in the past 40 years
Brett Davis CEO of NIRVC says about 5% of RVs sold are motorhomes.

P.S. I wonder why I got the double quote thing?

Last edited:
I'm in the Travel Trailer group. If you stay below 22' , many tt's can be towed by newer midsize trucks. I've a newer Ford Ranger rated to tow 7500 lbs and with wdh and beefed up shocks and springs it tows great. Much easier to drive around town than my previous F150.
That being said, I love class C's, but can't get past the fact that they're actual vehicles with engines, trannies, drivetrains and all the maintenance issues. A big plus of a class C, is the security issue. Boondocking and being spooked happens, you can just get into the drivers seat and move along. Lot different with an unhooked TT. Hit home for me a few years back when camping on the beach in Texas. You sometimes don't know who your neighbors are. I don't carry so that adds to paranoia. Just something to consider.

We have a 25’ travel trailer that we enjoy very much, but get tired of unhooking, rehooking and traveling with a long tow rig. We tow with an f-150 crew cab. Thinking of a small class C (under 30’). A class C, because i have indoor storage, but has to be under 11’ in height. Should we make the change? Has anyone done this that was happy with the decision? Pro’s/cons? My wife and I are both in very good health, I’ll turn 75 in a few days and she is younger than I. Would appreciate any input you can offer.
My wife and I bought a 23ft C with no slide, towed a Jeep..the only drawback was that darn corner bed, we’re up in age 70, so usually a trip or two the the bathroom at night gets old quick, you either scoot out or crawl out backwards…so now we have a 34’ MH so much better ..😀

My wife and I bought a 23ft C with no slide, towed a Jeep..the only drawback was that darn corner bed, we’re up in age 70, so usually a trip or two the the bathroom at night gets old quick, you either scoot out or crawl out backwards…so now we have a 34’ MH so much better ..😀
Yea, bed accessibility on both sides is very important to about everyone we know that has an RV…
Butch

RVs, especially smaller ones, have lots of cute tricks to use space more efficiently. Corner beds, suspended beds, tiny bathrooms (perhaps even "wet" ones), collapsible tables, fold down extensions, etc. All very clever and impressive to see when shopping for an RV, but they quickly get old if you spend much time in the RV. Some people deal with that sort on thing quite well, making the challenge part of the fun, but for others it's just aggravating. Difficult to know which category you fit in until you try it for awhile. Plus, advancing age or changes in health can alter your attitude a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom