Where to next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

In the next month or two, I will probably take an RV trip to wherever, not sure where I want to go for this time of year. I guess most of the snowbirds already flew back north.

What places do non-full-timers find worth visiting several times? Worth going back to and for what reasons?

Boondocked or RV parks are fine with me. I will just use my older RV for boondocking up unpaved roads. Newer one for the RV parks.

-Don- Reno, NV

We enjoy the Nevada state parks on eastern side of state, Echo Canyon, Spring Valley, Kershaw Ryan, etc.

Attachments

• 20240418_191702.jpg
    20240418_191702.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 3
We enjoy the Nevada state parks on eastern side of state, Echo Canyon, Spring Valley, Kershaw Ryan, etc.
Perfect! I have always been curious about that area yet I completely forgot about it. I have been to some places in Eastern NV, such as Great Basin Park, but that was many years ago on a motorcycle.

I don't recall ever being between Hwy 50 and I-80 out there in the eastern part of NV.

-Don- Reno, NV

Another vote for Sacramento Pass. We been to a number of site along the 50 from the Fallon NV to the Utah border. Another BLM campground is Illipah Reservoir Rec. Area about 50 miles west of Ely NV. Cave Lake State Park is east of Ely and another great campground. Actually two campgrounds. IIRC, the second one on the road in has hookups.

We were on hwy 50 late April or early May and hit a few patches of snow. Nothing serious but broke up the monotony of the desert.

If you go to Illipah once you're on the road in, just off the highway there's a road sign which points to the reservoir on the left. Another road goes straight ahead and after about 10 miles of dirt road, there's a ghost town.

I like the Rocky Mtns part of Colorado. Depending on your timeline, taking Hwy 50 to I-70 is both the most scenic and direct route.

I like the Rocky Mtns part of Colorado. Depending on your timeline, taking Hwy 50 to I-70 is both the most scenic and direct route.
I never have timelines when I am out RVing. If I cannot stay out for months, I am unlikely to leave at all.

Yeah, Tom & I took I-70 across Colorado many years ago. Very scenic especially around Dillon Reservoir with all the small islands. I think it was on our way back from Toronto, Ontario, Canada in year 2012. We were going west in our Y2K RV on I-70 is all I remember for certain.

-Don- Reno, NV

Another vote for Sacramento Pass.
That will mostly likely be it. I could have to wait until the middle of May. But it will not be too hot warm, as I see the elevation is above 7,000'. Perhaps better if I go even later.

About time for me to visit Lehman Caves again also.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Have you considered Wyoming? People always focus on Yellowstone, but there are other impressive parts of the state.

Have you considered Wyoming? People always focus on Yellowstone, but there are other impressive parts of the state.
We LOVE Wyoming!

Wind River Mountains, Wyoming Range, Absarokas.

Pinedale is a cute town.

Lots around there to explore although lots are dirt roads.

Greys River Road has boondocking and there arelots of spots near Boulder WY towards the mountains.

Dubois and the Military Museum there is exceptionally good. You can probably park there for a few nights.

Do you hike much? Is so Louise Lake is a good hike up the back of Dubois. Some interesting petroglyphs near there and boondocking.

If you want any specifics let me know.

The Northwest is starting to warm up but there's a good likelihood for rain West of the Cascades through June.

But that means the drier inland spots are about perfect, not too hot yet. Lots of pretty country in Eastern WA, Idaho Panhandle, Western Montana, and Eastern Oregon, Bend, and Boise Idaho.

We have nothing, nada, zilch, planned for RV trips for the rest of the year, and the RV hasn't moved since we returned from CA in February. Both of us are a little stunned...things have been busy and time has passed us by!

Years ago, Tom & I was all over Wyoming and part of Montana in our Y2K RV. Saw Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Jackson, Cheyenne & more. Was a great trip.

This trip I want to check out new places I have not yet been to and decide where to go from there.

-Don- Reno, NV

If you're asking me, yes, I try to get in quite a bit of hiking during all my RV trips. As well as in the Auburn and Reno area.

Here, I like to hike in the foothills of Mt. Rose. Several other places too.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yes hence reference to that Lake. FB_IMG_1713975220487.jpgAnother fairly easy hike on the other side of the Wind Rivers from Louise Lake is Sacred Rim. Pic attached.

Time and distance has always dictated how far we could travel. Mostly, the "time" factor, as we both had to return to work.

Some time before Covid hit, my wife switched and became a home office. She did not have to go into the office any more. About the same time, my company started letting us work from home 2 or 3 days a week.

So, we scheduled many, many extended week-ends at State Park throughout Indiana, as the longest drive to reach any one of them would be 3 or 4 hours at the most. So, we started just running the gauntlet in Indiana, enabling us to work from the camper on a Thursday and Friday, or a Monday or Tuesday. This worked well for quite a long time.

Then Covid hit and we both were told not to come back to the building. Well, our travels extended then. As long as we had phone service we could connect via our phone's hot spots. Thus, enter "Visible" which was the answer to our biggest need .... reliable internet that could travel with us.

Those changes enabled us to travel farther, stay longer, and we found ourselves running a circuit between 3 or 4 different campgrounds, for almost 2 years.

Then I retired, she's still working from home. Except now, we run the gauntlet between Indiana, Louisiana, and North Carolina. Actually, I'm doing camp hosting in North Carolina and Louisiana. Except the Louisiana "gig" is not a traditional "camp host". The position is on a Historic Site plantation and I'm working as tour guide for the Plantation House and help give demonstrations on 1820's blacksmithing, in exchange for a full hook-up campsite (this site has no campground). It's a marvelous and very rewarding experience.

So, this year, we are in Louisiana for the month of Jan, Feb, and Mar. (which is now past). Back home again (Indiana) for April (which is now almost over). Back to Louisiana for May and June. Then over to North Carolina as a camp host (traditional host position), for July and August. Then back to Indiana in September. Then back to Louisiana for Oct, Nov, and December.

Well, it continues a bit. Jan and Feb (2025) we will be back in Indiana (burr.... dang coldest months of the year) ... and return to Louisiana for Mar, April, and May 2025.

If all goes well, we may stay longer in Louisiana. I won't know about returning to North Carolina for another gig as camp host until August this year (for 2025 July and August.)

So, basically, we are jumping between the 3 locations and absolutely love it! But the reason why we return, we absolutely love both of these locations and we absolutely love the state park we're at, and we absolutely love the people who work there. The plantation is interesting, because it's history. I've learned so much about Louisiana History in the early 1800's, and the Civil War (1860's), working on the plantation is working "Living History!" It's exciting, its rewarding, and non-stop learning. It's keeping my body agile, my mind working sharp, and giving me the social contact I need, and then the alone time and solitude of camping .... especially at the Plantation when the place is closed up at 5:00 pm and we are the only people on the property and the "ghosts" come out at night! The park manager lives on the property too.

That's why we return and want to return again and again. But, we also have a need to return home every few months also, for lots of reasons.

OK, I've rambled enough.

Ok, if you have done Wyoming, how about South Dakota, most of the interesting bits are within about a hundred mile radius of Rapid City.

Having lived and worked for a time in the West. I think, this time of year, you would enjoy camping in the North AZ area. The temperatures are much cooler in the hills and there are lots of trees and green foliage which will all make for cooler nights over the grill.

how about South Dakota,
Already did SD as well. Tom & I was all over SD a few different times. Was another interesting place except the time we didn't realize the Stirgus motorcycle rally was going on and couldn't wait to get out of the area when we tried to visit Deadwood. But even during that trip, we got to see Mt Rushmore. That was very well organized for the crowds of motorcycles. We were all instructed exactly where to park on the way in, and even room for RVs.

We have been to SD since then and then was able to visit Deadwood and many other places that were very crowded during Stirgus that were nice and peaceful after. Then we knew to make sure it wasn't during the time of the Stirgus rally.

Yeah, being into motorcycles, one would think I would know when Stirgus was going on, but the thought never even crossed my mind during that trip. I even was wondering why I was seeing so many large groups of motorcycles on the highways when more than 100 miles away from Stirgus.

-Don- Reno, NV

I think, this time of year, you would enjoy camping in the North AZ area.
Yep. I stayed in Flagstaff for a week during my last RV trip. The only town in all of AZ to never hit 100°F in all of its recorded history.

I also really enjoy Payson, Cottonwood (Dead Horse Ranch Park) and several other places that usually do not get too hot because of the elevation.

AZ is a great state for any time of year, but must go to different places in different seasons, such as Organ Pipe or Yuma during the winter, Flagstaff or Payson during the summer.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom