CAMPER: Winterizing, heaters and is it safe to still use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Composting works from 55 degrees and warmer. The warmer it is, the faster it compost. When the temperature drops to freezing, the compost will be dormant until heat is introduced into the area."
Agreed but i also consider that composting takes far longer than you would ever keep that stuff in a composting toilet. They start the process but it isnt safe to use it as compost right out of the toilet.

A better name for them is probably a partially compost toilet lol

Unless a custom cover it will not allow slides or door to open.
If I did gain access with completely covered top and sides, no way I would use ANY HEATER.
Risk of carbon monoxide and fire way too high. Also if there is snow, I would not want melting and refreezing over and over.

Another thing to consider is simply leaving it uncovered. Covering a a rather controversial subject but lots of people, myself included, have never covered their RV. I’m in southern Ontario. In addition to using my trailer for a couple of winter camping trips and a December/January trip south, I also use it as a “hang out”. It is winterized and not fully functional, but I still enjoy it. A heated mattress pad and/or heated blanket helps, and I use a space heater more than the furnace. I leave a vent open amd a window cracked when in use, and also have a maxx air fan that I can use if I notice any humidity.

I am testing mine right now, been running the furnace at night 60F (also heats the insulated tanks) and a 1500watt space heater during the day. Really trying to see how long an 18 gallon propane tank lasts, so far its better than I thought it would be. The cold sure showed up fast this year... seems like it was 90F a couple weeks ago

I did that same test early on, ran off a grill tank to see what "worst case" consumption would be. Worked out that one grill tank would last 3 days and change with "typical" use during fall/spring camping conditions so that has proved to be a useful data point when estimating remaining propane in the on board tank. It's pretty easy to toss a grill tank on board for short trips as a backup, and knowing how long I can realistically run on that alone as well.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Ive got 2 tall lp tanks on the rv. I think they are 30lb tanks? They hold 9 gallons. I also carry a spare grill sized one. I always keep 1 rv tank open and 1 closed and dont rely on the regulator autocutover feature. Would rather go out in the middle of the night to cut over to the 2nd tank than run both out and get surprised. Then i get the empty refilled the next day.

The 3rd tank is for my mr heater. I keep the tank outside and run a propane line through the slide to the heater inside. Probably not the best thing to do to the slide seals but i dont want the propane tank on the inside.

I have had multiple mr heaters. The current one usses a lot less propane but kicks out less heat than the others i have owned.

I do similar to rv_lee. Run the rv furnace overnight and the mr heater during the day. I could run an electric space heater instead but would rather use propane when we boondock. I can get almost a week out of the small tank in high 30 degree temps outside.

My rv has r21 insulation in it and is a 4 season rv with all the winter options so most people probably wouldnt get the same results.

The issue of moisture in the camper is real. If you’re in the camper with a heater on you nearly always have to have a window open. Otherwise you’ll have water running down the walls.

The issue of moisture in the camper is real. If you’re in the camper with a heater on you nearly always have to have a window open. Otherwise you’ll have water running down the walls.
Absolutely true. better windows and insulation makes a huge difference. You can tell how well an rv is insulated based on the amount of condensation almost

An RV cover won't allow a slide to be opened unless custom made. Too many different slide sizes & locations to make standard covers that, plus covers are intended for storage, not in-use.

Some covers have a section that can be opened to get access to an entry door. May need to choose whether you need a front door or a mid-door type cover. Suggest you Google RV Cover with door and see what might work for you.

My cover, Adco, has three panels along the door side that will open. You just open the one where the door is.

I did that same test early on, ran off a grill tank to see what "worst case" consumption would be. Worked out that one grill tank would last 3 days and change with "typical" use during fall/spring camping conditions so that has proved to be a useful data point when estimating remaining propane in the on board tank. It's pretty easy to toss a grill tank on board for short trips as a backup, and knowing how long I can realistically run on that alone as well.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Ive been running it a week so far and the gauge says 1/2. But last time it said 1/2 it only took 4 gallons, meaning I had roughly 10 still in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyJa
Back
Top Bottom