Dusting off our EV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I converted mine to lithium last year when the used batteries it came with gave out It's a 36 volt cart and out of curiosity I installed (3) $300 Chins 12 volt 100 a/h LiFeP04 batteries. I couldn't see any reason they wouldn't work but figured if they didn't work in the cart I could use them in my RV. They run the cart very nicely for about a week at a time running around the RV park and cost less than buying (6) 6 volt batteries. Single unit drop in battery packs are also available.

I converted mine to lithium last year when the used batteries it came with gave out It's a 36 volt cart and out of curiosity I installed (3) $300 Chins 12 volt 100 a/h LiFeP04 batteries. I couldn't see any reason they wouldn't work but figured if they didn't work in the cart I could use them in my RV. They run the cart very nicely for about a week at a time running around the RV park and cost less than the cost of buying (6) 6 volt batteries. Single unit drop in battery packs are also available.
Lou, where did you get the batteries? Brand?

I replaced our 6 wet cells a few years ago, but I suspect they'll die on me sooner or later.

In other threads, I've seen messages comparing the price of electricity in different communities. Did I mention the price of electricity to charge that power-hungry beast at our WY property? In UK vernacular, I refer to it as "cheap as chips" (UK 'chips' = French fries). I can't find the last statement (we get billed a couple of times a year +/-), but the prior bill shows a whopping $0.06/kwh. Looks like it had been that price for several years.

I'm off to find the latest statement to see if they hiked it to $0.065/kwh; I might need to vacate WY!

Lou, where did you get the batteries? Brand?

I replaced our 6 wet cells a few years ago, but I suspect they'll die on me sooner or later.
Amazon. I chose Chins when their price dropped below $300 each. Get one with low temperature charging protection if your lows will drop below freezing.

Today Chins is Li Time and they have a Group 24 battery that will drop right into a 6 volt battery slot. Mine are Group 37 size so I had to modify my battery tray. I measured 80 amps with a stalled motor (maximum current) and 40-50 amps under normal operation, well within the battery's 100 amp maximum sustained current rating.

Amazon.com

I homebrewed a 40 volt charger (13.6 volts per battery) out of (3) 12 volt power supplies in series for the lead acid batteries because the golf cart came without a charger. Then I upped it to 42 volts (14 volts per battery - 14.5 volts is the maximum) when I installed the Chins. Now you can get lithium enabled golf cart chargers for $150. You'll also need a shunt based battery monitor because lithium's voltage doesn't sag much as they discharge. Li Time has a nice one for $65 on Amazon.

Amazon. I chose Chins when their price dropped below $300 each. Get one with low temperature charging protection if your lows will drop below freezing.

Today Chins is Li Time and they have a Group 24 battery that will drop right into a 6 volt battery slot. Mine are Group 37 size so I had to modify my battery tray. I measured 80 amps with a stalled motor (maximum current) and 40-50 amps under normal operation, well within the battery's 100 amp maximum sustained draw rating.

Amazon.com

I homebrewed a 36 volt (42 volt) charger out of (3) 12 volt power supplies in series because the golf cart came without a charger. Now you can get lithium based golf cart chargers for $150-200. You'll also need a shunt based battery monitor because lithium's voltage doesn't sag much as they discharge. Li Time has a nice one for $65 on Amazon.
Thanks Lou.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom