Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UTTransplant said:
That?s the one we have. Works great.

It seems like I read somewhere that to utilize the Bluetooth you had to agree to some sort of invasive privacy statement, can you clear that up? I may have misunderstood

Back2PA said:
It seems like I read somewhere that to utilize the Bluetooth you had to agree to some sort of invasive privacy statement, can you clear that up? I may have misunderstood
I only use the manual mode. No Bluetooth required.

UTTransplant said:
That?s the one we have. Works great.
We have the original version, not sure if it's the one you linked. We dont use the bluetooth. Our Christmas joint of beef is currently cooking away in it.

Steve bought another gadget that you put in the water to set off an alarm if temp goes too low. Will find the name and let you know.

It's a great device, especially for meat as it becomes very tender. You can cook straight from frozen too. Obviously it takes a lot longer than traditional methods, but worth it.

Check out the correct methods as brining stuff is often helpful.

OK thanks for the feedback. I had sorta settled on this model but there are many out there.

The other use I think it would be good for is reheating. For example a leftover piece of roast beef from the freezer. Reheat to say 120 and the meat should be hot and juicy without being dried out from further cooking.

UTTransplant said:
I only use the manual mode. No Bluetooth required.

Ok thx. Can't imagine why I'd need the Bluetooth either

jackiemac said:
Steve bought another gadget that you put in the water to set off an alarm if temp goes too low. Will find the name and let you know.It's a great device, especially for meat as it becomes very tender. You can cook straight from frozen too. Obviously it takes a lot longer than traditional methods, but worth it.Check out the correct methods as brining stuff is often helpful.

Jackie that temp alarm sounds like a good idea.

Re the tenderness I'm very curious about experimenting with various less expensive cuts and using long cooking times keeping the meat at about 110F for a long time where I understand the natural enzymes are still active, then bring it up to desired temp.

Re brining I have brined chicken, shrimp and pork with great success, but I've not brined beef. Were you referring to beef?

Back2PA said:
Re the tenderness I'm very curious about experimenting with various less expensive cuts and using long cooking times keeping the meat at about 110F for a long time where I understand the natural enzymes are still active, then bring it up to desired temp.
For both these things I use an Instant Pot. Super tender pot roast from a chuck steak, pulled pork from a pork butt, either a full chicken or just parts - all tender and juicy. You can reheat in anInstant Pot too using the steam setting and a covered container. I use my sous vide for the expensive stuff that is easy to get wrong - good steaks, lamb, etc.

We eat on the road pretty much the same as when we are home. I'll always make up a double batch of Skyline Chili and freeze it so we can use it on hot dogs or spaghetti. We'll take a lot of frozen burgers, dogs and a couple of steaks on each trip along with the usual - pasta, salads and sandwiches. We usually eat sandwiches while on the road and then begin cooking meals when we're settled. And we will always try the local restaurants at our destinations to experience the local cuisine.

A lot of our camping is weekend trips into the mountains boondocking with friends.  We kinda try to outdo each other with the dinners (typically each couple gets one dinner meal to feed the group).  I like to smoke meat so often do a Tri-Tip, brisket or shoulder.  (https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/davy-crockett-pellet-grill-wifi/  Green Mountain Davy Crocket - love that smoker.

Some of our better meals:
  Skirt Steak over the fire with Chimichurri
  Smoked turkey legs
  Paella cooked on our Cadac Carry Chef (great gas grill for cooking for large groups)
  Mexican Fiesta  Pot Luck  https://photos.app.goo.gl/rswh1wgifVaUfhGt9
  Aloha Spirit Pot Luck  https://photos.app.goo.gl/SyKMryedefYMhCK4A

We eat - and we eat well :)

-Chak

We kinda try to outdo each other with the dinners

Our group camping used to consist of everyone bringing too much food and then trying to foist it all onto everyone else. The trick was to find something that was too good for everyone else to pass up. I often did my chicken fajitas or a breakfast version of "shut up and eat it" consisting of potatoes, eggs, cheese, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms all cooked together in a big skillet. All this could be prepped at home before we left so I just had to toss it into the pan.

i agree - too much food was how we started "assigning meals" to people.  With the exception of the event pot-luck meals - which are kinda ridiculous :)

-Chak

Since I full time the RV is my home so I cook same as I do "At Home".. Actually I make many of the same dishes I"d be making if I lived in a Sticks and Bricks. the RV kitchen is smaller. but full featured otherwise.

Back2PA said:
OK thanks for the feedback. I had sorta settled on this model but there are many out there.

The other use I think it would be good for is reheating. For example a leftover piece of roast beef from the freezer. Reheat to say 120 and the meat should be hot and juicy without being dried out from further cooking.

Ok thx. Can't imagine why I'd need the Bluetooth either

Jackie that temp alarm sounds like a good idea.

Re brining I have brined chicken, shrimp and pork with great success, but I've not brined beef. Were you referring to beef?
Yes we had beef today it was fantastic! Will find out where Steve gets recipe from and let you know.

jackiemac said:
Yes we had beef today it was fantastic! Will find out where Steve gets recipe from and let you know.
Weigh the beef and take 1/2 % - 1% of the weight and measure this amount of salt put on beef, vacuum seel or zip lock then cook for appropriate time.. if you like it very salty go up to 2%.

He doesn't brine stuff in advance when he does the sous vide....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom