KOFA/Quartzsite 2022 Get Together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We want to be there. We have generators (quiet ones) but no solar (yet). I get Kofa, but am having trouble getting my head around Q.
I think we will try for 5 nights or so at kofa We have time for all of Q but not sure about tanks. Remember, we are 1st timers at this. As an aside, later this week we will be at our 1st water & electric site for a week.

Rob and Deryl, don't miss out on Q, just because you're first timers. When we arrived in the US to buy our setup, once we had checked everything at the dealer in Texas we hot footed to the forum rally in Q.
Met a terrific bunch of people, made very very welcome, made many friends, learnt lots of technical help and ideas and got our solar there.
As hueypilot says, water dump and trash all available at $40 for two weeks.
If only I could promise to be there ( travel restrictions to the US) we would gladly help you settle your anxiety.

You will have more trouble at KOFA with dumping and water than at Quartzsite. KOFA doesn’t have either, but they are available about a mile or so away from where the forum rally is held at Q. As Tony said, $40 for 2 weeks. Oh, and they have dumpsters for trash too.

I get Kofa. Just boondocking. I think we will try 5 nights or so.

I am still a bit confused about the forum get together at Q.
Is it all boondocking? Are there regular (affordable & recommended) campgrounds too?

There are campgrounds at Q with all facilities but I doubt if there will be any vacancies during the RV show in January. If you are kitted to boondock at KOFA, then it will be easier at Q.
That's to say I would not want to put you off the rally at KOFA.
If we can get back out by December, both rallies appear very high on our wish list. Remember, when we traveled out in January 2019, we were virtually green to any form of RV'ing in the US. Advice on this forum and the kind assistance we gained at Q was invaluable in getting us the confidence we now have.

I get Kofa. Just boondocking. I think we will try 5 nights or so.

I am still a bit confused about the forum get together at Q.
Is it all boondocking? Are there regular (affordable & recommended) campgrounds too?
The forum get-together proper is boondocking, all in one of hundreds (or more) of spots available -- it's a large spot, and we've had something over 40 units there at once, though not often, with lots of room for more. Below is a link to the announcement thread for the 2020 Q session:

You'll find instructions on how to get there, pictures of the route and of our camping area and more. In addition, some of the pictures in the random pic selection near the top of the page come from Q.

In addition to a large area for boondocking (about 2 mi. S of the town of Q), we have a "community" fire ring for a framily gathering each evening about 4 PM (Happy Hour), daily walks as a group for those who wish, at least one (sometimes two) 4WD trips for those interested, led by very experienced 4WD aficionados who are very helpful to others, and lots of visiting, in addition to individual (and sometimes small group) visits to the Big Tent (lots of booths for all things RV) and to the flea market (huge, more than a city block) -- occasionally someone organizes some other activity, too.

And from where you're parked in our forum area (you'll have a sticker ($40) valid for two weeks that allow you to go to the dump/water fill area and to use the dumpsters that are in several locations.

Rob, we have never been boondockers, so we only spent about 4 days there, but I wouldn't have missed it! We even went back a few years later, flew from Florida rented a car and stayed in a motel in Blythe, we participated in a 4 wheel drive as passengers, enjoyed a couple of bondfires, and joined in the closing supper. I my estimation, it is a must do at least once in your RVing adventures. We met people that we continue to keep in touch with.

Ed

-- occasionally someone organizes some other activity, too.
I know we will be coordinating a trip to the Desert Bar (look at their website for more info). We will also be taking a trip through the Yuma Proving Grounds to get to the Colorado River and a National Wildlife Refuge. The YPG has a huge gorgeous stretch of pristine desert plus a bonus of frequent military actions. There are lots of other interesting places with mining history.

Making more sense now. Btw, many of the links in the 2020 report are broken.
I am looking forward to this. We are struggling to plan out a winter in the rv and having some goals like Q & Kofa help a bit.

Are their vendors at Q that can instal solar and other goodies while you wait? I am thinking a Couple of 300w ish panels on the roof, more battery etc will make boondocking more fun.
Since we are living in the rv for now, can’t really bring it to a big rv dealer and leave it for weeks. An asside…. Got all new brakes installed at the campground today! Best birthday present yet.

There are two major Solar sales and installation companies at Quartzsite.

Discount Solar and Solar Bills.

I recommend Discount Solar as I have bought from them before.

To get installation while you wait you might want to get your configuration worked out early and have your appointment set well ahead of time.

The two solar companies are only in Q during the cooler part of the year.

I would suggest that you call them but I am not sure if or when they monitor their calls.

As mentioned, there are solar installation companies in Q, but they don't come cheap. Last year I was quoted $1200 to supply and fit a 200 watt panel and controller. I bought everything required including stainless screws and a caulking gun and did the installation myself whilst at the rally, to the amusement of Kevin (uttransplant, thanks for the loan of your battery drill!)
Total cost $300, but that's only any use if you are DIY minded and capable. I didn't move our unit for at least 48 hours to let the Dicor sealant cure some.

If you are considering solar, and your RV is your "home", then check to see if the Federal tax CREDIT is still available. When I did my installation back in 2018, the credit was 30%, but the percentage started declining in 2019, but it may still be at 10%. You can apply the credit to all costs, including labor, for all equipment, structural changes, etc. so includes controllers, charges, wiring, everything. It may take some digging to find the current tax rule, Google is your friend, or ask your tax preparer. Also, any unused credit can be carried forward for 3 years.

Linda

Discount solar is the only way to go when in "Q",, Solar Bills is the pitts and has a reputation of lousy work.. The ongoing problem is the timing,, this is obviously the busy time for them and they get swamped..>>>Dan

If you do choose to install Solar yourself, We, (Forum members at the rally), have all the technical advice and experience that you will need. Just coordinate so that you bring all the needed components and I can furnish the needed tools.

I am now to old to get up on the roof. Lately I tend to lose my balance.

If needed we can probably find some labor in Q. Some younger fellow that will bounce if they fall off the roof.

I did the installation of both my DP and my Stacker trailer a few years ago, (1500 watts).

I might even have a system installed on my new RV.

Attachments

• r20160821_115254.jpg
    r20160821_115254.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 3
  • r20161116_153925.jpg
    r20161116_153925.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 5
  • r20190108_133905.jpg
    r20190108_133905.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 5
  • r004 (5).jpg
    r004 (5).jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I am interested in installing (DIY) some solar on our new to us Sightseer with residential fridge.
Bill, are those powered panel tilts? I like the idea but not if I have to climb on the roof every time I want it. I guess the alternative is to use enough panels to make up for tilt?

Phil,

The ones that I installed are not powered. Kevin has designed and manufactures the powered tilt panels that are raised using a remote control.

Here is a picture of the ones I used. I figured that even if I never tilt them, I can, however they require someone to get on the roof.

Attachments

• crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 3
I don't know what the cost is for powered tilt mechanisms against % improvement, but I'm guessing that if you have enough room on the roof, extra panels to compensate could be cheaper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom