Let's talk about propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trbo323

So, I had an idea the other day that I'm seriously thinking about doing. I recently started working in the propane industry so getting tanks and propane itself is pretty easy but wanted to see if anyone can see a problem with my Idea here that I'm not seeing yet.

Colman e3 pop up, currently has 2 20lb tanks on the front. I'm really not a fan of the BBQ style tanks because there is no way to really tell how full they are. So I was thinking about forklift tanks and found that they are fairly narrow but typically much taller than 20lb tanks. They can also be operated horizontal or vertical so I was thinking, if there's enough room, I could potentially stack 2 43lb forklift tanks horizontal in the same spot that the 2 20lb tanks currently occupy. More than doubling my capacity and giving me a gauge on each tank in the process.

Forklift tanks are built to put out liquid but if I flip them upside down the dip tube is then in the vapor space. There's 2 problems with this though as it will reverse the gauge (empty is now full) and will put the fill spitter on the bottom of the tank.

Reverse gauge isn't a huge concern because it will still be reading so whatever. Spitter can be solved by either rotating the tank back around to right side up to fill or removing it from the trailer and standing up vertical to fill. The only real down side there is it will weigh around 85lbs once full to get back onto the trailer.

I thought about mounting a 100lb horizontal but the thing I don't like about that is let's say it runs dry while camping, my only option is to then pack up the whole camper to go get it filled. I'd like to be able to remove the tank from the trailer and take it to get filled. I would also like the ability to take a tank off the trailer to run a propane generator at home. Or possibly tie into the trailer system while camping.

So, poke holes in it, what am I not seeing?

My first question is not about the propane but rather will the increased weight on the front of your popup be an issue for you.
No. Towing with a Toyota tundra. At the trailers gvwr I could add a whole other Colman c3 and be just a few hundred over the tundras towing capacity.

I don't use those small tanks except on BBQ grills, but won't these work on those tanks?
View attachment 172544

-Don- Auburn, CA
They only really tell you when you are out because they are a pressure gauge. Chances are, you already know you are out by the time that gauge becomes useful. The forklift tanks use a true float gauge inside the tank so you know (within reason) that you are at 3/4 or 1/3 of a tank left.

Possibly too much tongue weight.

I've never had a Coleman popup ut I imagine they are pretty much like my old Apache popup. The bed deck that pushed out over the two 20lb tanks barely cleared the tops of the tanks.

I have had problems filling a 20lb tank in certain areas. I could only do tank swaps. The only tanks that I could swap were 20lb tanks.

BTW, I use the little "pressure" gauges on all of my 20lb tanks. Works pretty well. But you can also buy tank monitors for the 20lb tanks that are supposedly accurate. If I really wanted to know how much LP was left in a tank, I turned on a gas appliance and took a cup of hot water outside to pour on the tank. The tank shell would be cold at and below the level of the LP.

The gauge like Don showed above does not work. It is merely a pressure gauge and will show if you have propane, or will go to empty when the pressure drops off. Totally useless.

I'm gonna suggest the Flame King YSN230 cylinder as it has a magnetic driven gauge on the neck of it. these cylinders are found at Costco and can be ordered from Amazon and other sellers such as Home Depot.

You also will find that Manchester manufactures cylinders with gauges in them, but only in the 30 and 40 lb vertical cylinders.

What I am using is the Mopeka Pro Check Sensors which are found as kits on Amazon or you can buy directly from Mopeka. I started out with the standard sensors and they were "eating" batteries, so they replaced them with the Pro sensors, which is appears is all they make now.

I have the Mopeka system because I have an on board generator and it consumes a fair amount of LP. Truth is, I really don't use that much and unless you are doing a huge amount of camping in that popup you are wasting your time worrying about the propane level. If your cylinders are accessible, you can easily take them loose and shake the one you have been using to determine how much is left. Some people throw hot water on the side of them to determine the level.

Learn how the automatic change over regulator works, and what indicator flags show when it does and automatic change over.

My cylinders are extremely difficult to remove and install so I want to be sure they are ready to come out for refill.

Attachments are some screenshots of the APP for reading the sensors and a poor pic of the cylinders. That is a small hatch you have to lift them thru.

Charles

Attachments

• Propane tank brace.jpg
    Propane tank brace.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Mopeka Pro 3 sensor installed.jpg
    Mopeka Pro 3 sensor installed.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 3
  • Mopeka Pro 6 opening app screen with delete shown.jpg
    Mopeka Pro 6 opening app screen with delete shown.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Mopeka Pro 7 tank 1 info screenshot.png
    Mopeka Pro 7 tank 1 info screenshot.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Mopeka Pro 8 tank 1 settings screenshot.jpg
    Mopeka Pro 8 tank 1 settings screenshot.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3
  • mopeka tank access.jpg
    mopeka tank access.jpg
    888.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Possibly too much tongue weight.

I've never had a Coleman popup ut I imagine they are pretty much like my old Apache popup. The bed deck that pushed out over the two 20lb tanks barely cleared the tops of the tanks.

I have had problems filling a 20lb tank in certain areas. I could only do tank swaps. The only tanks that I could swap were 20lb tanks.

BTW, I use the little "pressure" gauges on all of my 20lb tanks. Works pretty well. But you can also buy tank monitors for the 20lb tanks that are supposedly accurate. If I really wanted to know how much LP was left in a tank, I turned on a gas appliance and took a cup of hot water outside to pour on the tank. The tank shell would be cold at and below the level of the LP.
I'm not worried about the tongue weight.
1) towing with a Toyota tundra which has way more ability than this trailer needs
2) the e3 has a cargo deck up front meant for ATVs or motorcycles, currently we are not using it for anything more than camping gear. I forget the decks weight limit but it's probably around double what we load it with as is.

Currently the beds do cover the tanks just barely. The current tanks are also sitting on a platform that lifts them up about 3 inches. For the forklift tanks I would have to make my own mount anyway so that 3 inch platform would be out the door faster than enron stock.

Yes I still have to measure everything but my mark one eyeball says it's at least feasible so for now I'm seeing if there's anything else I've overlooked.

Yes, super worst case scenario, I run out of propane and there's only swap cages around. I'd just have to buy a 20lb in that case to get through. Typically though around where I am, since I do the filling for a lot of the dispenser tanks I have a pretty good idea of where to go to get a fill. I figure no plan is perfect and I would really like to avoid packing up the whole camper just to go get a fill so the forklift cylinders give me pretty much the largest capacity without sacrificing the ability to remove them.

I can also more readily get them than a lot of more specialized stuff so just the fact that they come with a gauge only helps

What I am using is the Mopeka Pro Check Sensors which are found as kits on Amazon or you can buy directly from Mopeka.
I was just going to mention those. I have one (larger sensor) here on my house 250-gallon tank and I even have them on my two motorhome tanks (smaller sensor). But I almost forgot I had them on my motorhome tanks, as I rarely even think about those. But I can monitor my propane tanks that are here in Auburn at my house in Reno. But when I am here in Auburn, none of the three get much use. I normally have my Smartphone in either my car or in a motorcycle. And here, I can walk to all three gauges to see the levels.

The Mopeka sensors are probably more accurate than the gauges on the tanks. I just checked mine today. My home tank here says it is at 42% full. The Smartphone App shows it as 39%. Close enough regardless of which one is the most accurate. You tell the app the size of the tank in any way you wish. I just set for the gallon size, 250 gallons here on my home propane tank. But I can use physical size in inches or CM , etc. and make it as accurate as I want. Or perhaps I really should say to match the gauge on the propane tanks.

During my winter RV trips, when it got very cold at my old Cold Springs Valley house (the one I sold a few years ago), I have used it to call to have propane delivered to that house when I was more than a thousand miles away. My Reno home has natural gas. It's closer to the middle of Reno.

Here it doesn't get as cold, and the tank is half the size. 500 gallons in cold Cold Springs Valley. 250 gallons here in Auburn. Not nearly as useful here, but I still check all the gauges once in a great while when I am not here.

If you want to check from a distance, you will need the Mopeka bridge near the propane tank (In Bluetooth range of propane sensor) and an internet connection at each distant location.

-Don- Auburn, CA

But why? Where's the advantage in spending money to get a fancy gauge when my solution already offers a gauge?

Why spend whatever amount on those to know the tank is at exactly 53% instead of believing the float gauge is at 50?

The forklift tanks are more readily available to me anyway than some equal capacity fixed tank solution. I'd likely have to spend more money to get something that is 85+lb capacity, it would most likely be a fixed, mounted tank so I would loose the ability to take them off and go get a full while camping or at home to run a generator and then I would need to spend more money on those fancy gauges. I don't see the up side.

Colman e3 pop up, currently has 2 20lb tanks on the front. I'm really not a fan of the BBQ style tanks because there is no way to really tell how full they are.

I know several ways to tell with fairly good precision how much is in those tanks.
Some of them have gages (Float type) You can also have some retrofitted with them
You can scale them (The Tare weight is stamped on them)
You stick a strip of LCD crystals on the side and pour hot water over them
To name but 3 ways.

Will finding refill stations that are familiar with filling forklift tanks be a problem? I know you know how to do it, but will they let you if they don't. Most of the refiller attendants I run into have not been formally trained on refilling at all, just whatever the station owner or other employees have informally taught them, mostly just standard cylinders and maybe motorhome tanks.

I like the idea of having something "industrial" vs "retail". A liquid level gauge goes a long way towards eliminating the guesswork. Sidebar - I keep an inexpensive hanging spring scale in my quick access compartment I use to weigh grill tanks. ~37lbs full, 17lbs empty. Easy peasy but it does require the tank to be "loose" for weighing. I run my class A from grill tanks often so I don't tap into my main tank if I don't have to. My only departure from your idea is why you'd want two large tanks for a popup. I can run my class A in freezing temperatures for 3 days on a grill tank without trying. 2 tanks I could go for a week if I was mindful. Maybe a popup would take more Btu's to heat than my class A but I'm just pondering what you're using so much propane for. Maybe extended stays, I don't know. Seems like a lot but can also appreciate if you're fabricating a frame/mount/plumbing it may not be that much more work for two.

Unknowns on my part - could you flip the valve/gauge assembly so when the tank is inverted the gauge is right and the pickup and vent is in vapor space? It would then be a "modified" tank but if these are "yours" then having a nonstandard tank would be OK. Do these tanks have the same fill fitting as 20lb tanks? I've never paid attention to what connections forklift tanks have. Are they stamped like grill tanks and would a retail propane supplier be OK filling them? Thinking about what you might encounter out in the wild at a campground or RV park that sold propane. They fill grill tanks all day long but something unfamiliar might get some scrutiny.

Then after all this, why not a permanent tank like those found in motorhomes? Mine's 18 gallons, so ~14 gallons to 80%. Has a standard fill spigot, liquid level gauge that can be monitored remotely and is basically plug and play to RV appliances. No exchange option but then you wouldn't have that with forklift tanks either (at least at retail stores). Just thinking that with the forklift tanks you might be reinventing some wheels, not that it wouldn't work OK but is extra time and effort for no real gain over solutions that already exist. But I like the way you think, I'm always working angles to come up with solutions using existing hardware.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Propane systems have been around for a long long time,,, Why try to reinvent the wheel??.>>>Dan
Where is the advantage??

Last edited:
I boondocked with my popup 3 times at one week each. We traveled with the fridge in 12v mode but was on propane the rest of the time. We had maybe 1/2 our meals cooked on the stove. I had no water heater on board. With that I used less than 1/2 of the single 20lb tank on the trailer. If you use propane at the rate I did, double 43's will keep you going non-stop for about 8 weeks. Do you anticipate that kind of need?

I've use the hot water way many times. You will get a good idea of the level doing this. Pour the hot water down the side of the tank and use you hand to feel where the difference in temp occurs.
I've never tried this, but an infrared gun type thermometer should also work.

Just a thought, if you're currently working with propane equipment, & have the tools for it, couldn't you simply remove the valve, remove or cut off the dip tube, then reinstall the valve?

Ok let's see, I'll try to get to everyone's questions and comments

Just a thought, if you're currently working with propane equipment, & have the tools for it, couldn't you simply remove the valve, remove or cut off the dip tube, then reinstall the valve?
If I were using them as vertical tanks this would probably work but horizontal no. Or at least not without substantially reducing the capacity to make sure I don't draw liquid out.

Will finding refill stations that are familiar with filling forklift tanks be a problem? I know you know how to do it, but will they let you if they don't. Most of the refiller attendants I run into have not been formally trained on refilling at all, just whatever the station owner or other employees have informally taught them, mostly just standard cylinders and maybe motorhome tanks.
You brought up a good point that I hadn't really thought about, which I guess is why I made this thread so thanks.

To answer it though, kind of. Filling a forklift cylinder is exactly the same as a residential cylinder. Open the valve on the fill whip (there's not one on the fill fitting of the forklift cylinder, that one is a one way check valve) crack the spitter open and wait until liquid comes out of the spitter.

The only real difference is the fill fitting itself is larger. The thing about that is MOST dispensers use that larger fitting and then have an adaptor to go down in size to the POL thread size which is the one used for residential tanks .

Even if a dispenser doesn't do it that way and only has a POL fill whip, those POL threads are what is on the liquid output valve of the forklift tank. I'm going to check on this but I'm pretty sure you can still fill in through that POL fitting.
I like the idea of having something "industrial" vs "retail". A liquid level gauge goes a long way towards eliminating the guesswork. Sidebar - I keep an inexpensive hanging spring scale in my quick access compartment I use to weigh grill tanks. ~37lbs full, 17lbs empty. Easy peasy but it does require the tank to be "loose" for weighing. I run my class A from grill tanks often so I don't tap into my main tank if I don't have to. My only departure from your idea is why you'd want two large tanks for a popup. I can run my class A in freezing temperatures for 3 days on a grill tank without trying. 2 tanks I could go for a week if I was mindful. Maybe a popup would take more Btu's to heat than my class A but I'm just pondering what you're using so much propane for. Maybe extended stays, I don't know. Seems like a lot but can also appreciate if you're fabricating a frame/mount/plumbing it may not be that much more work for two.

Unknowns on my part - could you flip the valve/gauge assembly so when the tank is inverted the gauge is right and the pickup and vent is in vapor space? It would then be a "modified" tank but if these are "yours" then having a nonstandard tank would be OK. Do these tanks have the same fill fitting as 20lb tanks? I've never paid attention to what connections forklift tanks have. Are they stamped like grill tanks and would a retail propane supplier be OK filling them? Thinking about what you might encounter out in the wild at a campground or RV park that sold propane. They fill grill tanks all day long but something unfamiliar might get some scrutiny.

Then after all this, why not a permanent tank like those found in motorhomes? Mine's 18 gallons, so ~14 gallons to 80%. Has a standard fill spigot, liquid level gauge that can be monitored remotely and is basically plug and play to RV appliances. No exchange option but then you wouldn't have that with forklift tanks either (at least at retail stores). Just thinking that with the forklift tanks you might be reinventing some wheels, not that it wouldn't work OK but is extra time and effort for no real gain over solutions that already exist. But I like the way you think, I'm always working angles to come up with solutions using existing hardware.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Let's see lots going on here.

As to why. Not going to lie, "because I can" is a motivator. If you could get propane at around $1.50 a gallon I bet you would also start looking at ways to use it. Also I can potentially get the forklift tanks for cheap. Wife and I want to move to a Blackstone flattop cooker which I'm sure will also use more gas and we want a propane fire pit for camping as well. We were already thinking about getting a generator both for camping and backup home use so I thought, why not get a propane one and then not have to mess with gas.

So. Furnace, hot water, Blackstone, fire pit and generator all potentially running off of the trailer system.

Flipping the gauge might be possible. The way they work is the float mechanisms inside the tank has a set of magnets that then sit on the opposite side of basically a plug on top of the tank. The gauge locks onto that plug and has its own set of magnets to then move the needle. There's nothing that actually penetrates the tank to get the needle to move. Now the gauge has an indexing "key" (bump of plastic) that sits in an indent in the plug. It might be possible to cut off the key and rotate the face 180. Really I'm not too worried about it though. I'll know that when it reads 1/4 it actually means 3/4 and that's all I really need.

Why not permanent mount one large tank, 2 reasons. As I mentioned we want to do a generator both for camping and emergency backup (our house doesn't have heat without power) so if I already have these nice forklift tanks, might as well use them. Where we park the camper though, if the generator was there it would need around 200ft of extension cord to get into the house. Much easier to take one of the tanks off the trailer and bring it over to the house.

The other, and I think more important things is filling. It's a pop up so if it's a permanent mounted tank I would need to collapse and pack up the whole trailer to go get more propane rather than removing one or both tanks and bringing them somewhere in the truck

What time and effort are you taking about though?

Propane systems have been around for a long long time,,, Why try to reinvent the wheel??.>>>Dan
Where is the advantage??
What am I reinventing? I'm using larger tanks

Advantages: double the capacity I currently have while maintaining roughly the same footprint on the trailer tongue

An actual gauge on each tank

Still maintain the ability to remove and take tanks in to fill (chances are I'll never need this but I like the flexibility of it)

Ability to run pretty much whatever I wanted as I'll have the gas to do so

Disadvantage: tanks will be heavy when full (if it works the way I think it will, the only time they would be off the trailer is for the emergency generator at home)

Work required to mount them?

I boondocked with my popup 3 times at one week each. We traveled with the fridge in 12v mode but was on propane the rest of the time. We had maybe 1/2 our meals cooked on the stove. I had no water heater on board. With that I used less than 1/2 of the single 20lb tank on the trailer. If you use propane at the rate I did, double 43's will keep you going non-stop for about 8 weeks. Do you anticipate that kind of need?

8 weeks? No. But I'm also expecting to be using it at a much faster rate than you were. Look at it this way, from completely empty those two forklift cylinders will cost me around $30 to fill. That's total not each. Why the hell would I not use it? I am, 100% expecting to not need to fill the tanks between each camping trip, if that's true that's one less thing I need on my to do list which also sounds nice. If I do need to fill, whatever, I'll drive the delivery truck to my house and fill them while they are still on the trailer on a day I'm in the area.

I admire your creativity, but the way I see it, I use two 20 lb tanks for my propane needs, which normally cover my needs over the course of one season. If I want to find out how full they are I just pick them up and shake them. I also have a 10lb tank that I use with my Blackstone, which makes a great backup, if I miscalculate and empty my 20 lb tanks. Its gotten me thru a couple of cold nights until I could get the 20 pounders refilled.
I don't think I would be comfortable modifying the larger tanks to deliver vapor instead of liquid. I'd be concerned about insurance coverage if something happened because of the way your modified tanks are set up.
Just my $.02 FWIW

Safe travels and all the best.

Seems like an expensive and complicated way to get a gauge. You can get 20# horizontal LP gas tanks with a gauge from Flame King. Designed for vapor rather than liquid too. There are even 30# & 40# models if you want larger tanks.
You can even buy them at a Home Depot or similar store for around $100 retail. Probably a lot less if you have a wholesale connection with your job...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondie1956!
Back
Top Bottom