Need input - considering a Monaco Diplomat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MORunnerGirl

We are first time RV buyers and have found one we like. However, we are concerned about the mileage. It is a diesel. A 2004 Monaco Diplomat with 122,xxx miles. We know diesels are not as the impacted by mileage, but what about the rest of the coach?  It appears to be very well maintained. In fact looks better than a lot of newer and lower mileage units. We?d appreciate any thoughts you can provide. Thanks in advance! 

The fact that it has a few miles (122kisn?t really that much) shouldn?t concern you much, the fact that it was used is actually a good thing, and the fact that it was well taken care of, an even better thing. Have an inspector look it over, if you like the layout and it give you warm fuzzies, go for it.

I would much rather purchase an older motorhome with 122,000 miles as opposed to one with only 22,000. This one has been used regularly and thus should be in good repair.

122,000 miles on the engine, transmission and other drive train parts is nothing. These parts will easily run 500,000 miles or more without problems.

We have a 2004 Monaco LaPalma with a gas engine that I've put 93,000 miles on so far since new.

I'm impressed by the stuff Monaco built in the house part. It has really held up well over the years.

The Sharp microwave had a problem...stopping after 59 seconds. Fixed that.

122,000 miles are nothing for a diesel.  I think you'll be fine.

If my coach  was stolen I'd go find another 2004 Monaco LaPalma just like it to buy.

How much are they asking for the Diplomat?

We?ve tentatively settled on a price of $45, contingent on a mechanic review. Does that seem appropriate?  It looks new on the inside and really good on the outside.

I don't know if that's a good price or not, haven't really been pricing motorhomes for years.

Perhaps some other people on here with more knowledge in that area could chime in.

Use, miles, wear and condition on a motorhome can be separate things, and must each be considered on its own, as you are not just buying a vehicle, you are buying a house, with all of its related systems, plumbing, electrical, interior components, as well as the drive train.

Lets take 2 theoretical 15 year old motorhomes, and consider the overall use and wear, not only on the drive train, but overall wear, weather exposure, etc.

Unit 1, owned by a working age couple who tend to take it on long road trips a few weeks per year, lets say the average is two 2,500 miles trips per year, plus a few regional long weekend trips averaging 250 miles round trip for a total average of 6,500 miles per year, and an average of 36 days per year spent in the coach, or 97,500 miles, and 540 days after 15 years.  Storing the coach in a covered shed when not in use.

Unit 2, is owned by a retired snowbird couple from Minnesota, who alternate their winters between Florida, Arizona and the RGV in Texas.  Averaging 3,000 miles per year (about 1,500 mile each way to each of the destinations, 1 trip per year) for a total of 45,000 miles after 15 years.  The big difference is they live in the coach from November through April of each year, 180 days per year (2,7000 days over 15 years).

Unit 2 will have a lot more weather exposure, wear on the house side of thing, this is everything from light switches, to door hinges, to appliances, to carpet, ....  Either one might be a good deal if maintained, which is yet another issue as either one could also be completely shot if such things as engine, roof, etc. maintenance has been ignored.

So in the end miles are just one factor, and not necessarily a good one to determine overall condition.  Remember you are buying a house as much or more than you are buying a vehicle, so don't get stuck in a used vehicle mindset.

You also don't know if all the miles were put on it in the first five years and then it sat for 10 years. There is an old wives tale that says you should run, not walk away. Most of these stories date back to the 50's when drivetrain seals were not built with modern materials. If the oil was fresh when it was parked it doesn't matter if it was parked a week or 10 years. What is more important is if it was stored inside which eliminates leaks and rust. But regardless of use or storage on one that old, do expect to replace all tires, belts, hoses, engine oil, and flush brake lines.

If diesel ,, probably wont be flushing brake lines..The average mileage of motorhomes is about 6 grand a year, so the odometer mileage isn't a problem,, I have 130 grand on my 23 year old coach ( American coach ) and it's been well maintained and kept in a garage all it's life when not used,, so condition will be important at this price.  ( Tires are a major expense, so date codes are important.) My other concern would be if you can afford the ongoing storage of something this size? do you have a cover for it,  do you live in an HOA ?? is it allowed to be on your property? The value of these things sink like a rock if not cared for ongoing..
  You will need to "get chummy" with your local diesel repair shop,,at over $100.00 per hour,, they are experienced with Cummins, Cat's and Allisons and you will need to get experience or buy it..  The first lesson will be that everything with diesels are huge,, tires,, wheels,, engines,, brakes,, tools,,fluid capacities,, weights,,expenses,,storage space,,fuel tanks,,filters,,insurance,,,,,,the first 45Grand is just a start on a road to fun and pride..  Your eyes will pop open the first time you pay $400.00 for a fill up,,and gives a new meaning to reasonable travel speeds.. Or you do your first mileage calc. and it's under 8 miles per gallon,,  Or you weigh the coach and its over 30 THOUSAND POUNDS.. When you find it takes half a block to slow and stop without wearing the furnature around your neck,, These are very surprising facts for a first timer..  The old saying is: the two happiest days will be when buying and selling it.  I wish you luck and good times..>>>Dan

122,000 miles on the engine, transmission and other drive train parts is nothing. These parts will easily run 500,000 miles or more without problems.
This is a bit of a misconception from the perspective of the typical RV owner.  The "500,000 mile engine" refers to the time between major rebuilds, i.e. a full tear down to replace worn pistons and major internal parts.  It does NOT refer to the numerous other components that could put the coach on the roadside , e.g. alternator, fuel lift pump, fuel injector pump, water pump, radiator, hydraulic system pump, etc. Those typically have a lifespan around 100k miles, so may or may not have been already replaced in a 122k coach.  However, the Allison tranny should be good for 500k or more with reasonable care (periodic filter changes) and the actual driveshaft is so short it is all but bullet proof.

The '04 Diplomat is an excellent coach of its day, well-built with relatively few known problems. The biggest risk is the tendency of the front cap to shift during travel, breaking the seal where it joins the main roof and also at the upper sidewall joints. Look carefully for signs of water leaks over the entry door or above the windshield. Also check the radiator closely - that vintage used an aluminum radiator that was prone to tiny leaks, sometimes repairable with a can of a leak stop (but sometimes not).

The price sounds like the right ballpark, depending of course on the condition.  Tires and batteries alone can have a $3000-$5000 effect on a fair price.

My thought is if your mecanic checks it over and it doesn't have any problems and you like the floor plane I would go for it. Have your mecanic check the date codes on the tires. You don't want to be spending $3500+ on tires right away.  You could use what you find to negotiate a lower price.
Just be aware with this Covid mess it is a sellers market. More people are buying/renting RVs than ever before. 
Bill

Speaking historically, 2004 was a good time period for Monaco when they were building good solid coaches.  Assuming this one was well maintained it should be okay.  Our 2004 Executive has almost 120,000 miles and still runs like a champ.  We were lucky to have a builder who was willing to add a garage to our house when it was built so the Exec has always been garaged.  We've also tried to maintain it and have all the records which are important, not just for the prospective buyer but also as the owner of an older coach when you need to find out when something was changed.  For example about two years ago we were having acceleration issues because the turbo boost had a disintegrating piece of rubber so performance degraded.  The piece had to be replaced which was a costly repair.  It's things like this that you can't anticipate but at least another owner would have the repair record.

ArdraF

In my records and logs,, I also include the supplier,, type,, part numbers and amount needed.. Not only will this be advantages to my daughter,( whom will inherit the coach) but it is also a reference for future repairs for me..As you get older you memory WILL fade,, but records do not..>>>Dan

Back
Top Bottom