Northern California Boondockers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chovy

I will be likely going up to plumas county or anywhere else in Northern California for the month of September.

would be great to have others join me.

This year may not be the best time to do that. Last year CA shut down all forest access after numerous severe wildfires broke out. This year is even dryer and they're already fighting several large fires.

yeah that's why i said in a month. should be better in Sept. (hopefully)

Shut them down how?
By barring any and all entry into the forests including dispersed camping. Barricades at entry roads, etc. Colorado also did the same thing a couple of summers ago when they had extreme fire danger in their forests.

Here's what happened last year. Notice the date of the article (September 10, 2020):

All 18 California national forests close due to 'historic fire conditions'

Zoom out on the map in the link Seilerbird provided to see the current situation. California and the entire Pacific Northwest are in a second unprecedented dry year. Usually major fires don't begin until August or September. This year the fires started in July. CA doesn't get significant rainfall except during the winter months, usually they have the melting Sierra snowpack to tide things over during the dry summer but it's already gone this year. Things will only get worse between now and September.

Plumas County is the location of the third largest fire in California history, the Dixie Fire. It's where the historic town of Greenville in the gold country just burned down. We're in Las Vegas and our air here is so bad from that fire (with the Sierra Nevada mountain range between us) that we cannot see even a bare outline of any mountains or hills today. Just seeing high landmarks like a building a mile in the distance is iffy. Even if the forest areas are open by September there may not be much left to enjoy. This is not a good year to visit that area.

ArdraF

Plumas County is the location of the third largest fire in California history, the Dixie Fire. It's where the historic town of Greenville in the gold country just burned down. We're in Las Vegas and our air here is so bad from that fire (with the Sierra Nevada mountain range between us) that we cannot see even a bare outline of any mountains or hills today. Just seeing high landmarks like a building a mile in the distance is iffy. Even if the forest areas are open by September there may not be much left to enjoy. This is not a good year to visit that area.

ArdraF
Based on what just happened in Colorado after the fires there last year, next year might not be any better. Also wouldn't really surprise me to see entry to the area restricted to residents in the aftermath of the fire for the remainder of this year.

I noticed on the news last night that the Dixie fire has increased from the third largest to the second largest fire in California history. It was only 21 percent contained.

I'm actually managing campgrounds north of Bishop right now. Our air quality is so bad that we have campers leaving early.

I will be likely going up to plumas county or anywhere else in Northern California for the month of September.
I often take a ride to Lake Davis on a motorcycle. Been doing it for years. I was there a couple of weeks ago. I often BS with the owners of the RV park, Jim and Jenny, so they know me, but I have never had an RV there. Too close to be useful to me. J & J run the small general store there also.

Anyway, the RV Park has been open, but the lake has been closed. The Lake is in the National Forest so it has been closed, yet it is within walking distance from the RV Park. The lake could be open by now, I don't know. There is an info. number here.

RV Park info here.

They only have 30 amp service, but it never gets very hot there under all those trees at 5,775 feet elevation.

I was near there (A few miles) two days ago at the Portola Rest Area on Highway 70, just east of the park on Hwy 70. That was when I went to here.

No fire damage at all around Lake Davis. However, there is at Frenchman Lake just several miles east of Lake Davis.

-Don- Reno, NV

Well now it’s October and the fire is 94% contained. I may go up there in March now.

Well now it’s October and the fire is 94% contained. I may go up there in March now.
You could probably go any time, as most of southern Plumas County is fine. And the AQI here in Reno is 18 (excellent air quality) and it's been that way the last several days. We can breath again!

I am not sure about the northern part of the county. But I will take a motorcycle ride up towards Lake Amador soon and see how far I can get.

When I tried that last week with GreenVille, I made it all the way there to Burntville.

-Don- Reno, NV

How is Twain? Did it get burned too? Thinking of buy property there.
I didn't go that way, I went to Greenville from Quincy Junction (bypasses Quincy) and came back through Quincy. But there is no fire damage at all around Quincy and Twain is just a few miles NW of Quincy, so it will most likely be okay.

However, south on Hwy 89 from Greenville, I noticed the fire damage was off and on. IOW, a mile was all green and then a mile all burnt and then a mile all green again. So the fire somehow skipped over some areas, so there is no guarantee. But the odds are that Twain would be fine.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom