Online US Passport renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We drove across country (by car) numerous times in the last 15 years, with our dogs along for the ride. We returned to joint joint travel earlier this year, after the second pet had to be euthanized.

Realizing that the deadline for real ID was approaching in 2025, our passports had expired, and California put an "incorrect" real ID on our drivers licenses, we figured we'd better renew one or the other. Decided to renew passports/passport cards online.

The process was relatively simple and quick, after resolving a glitch with my photo. At several points in the process, we were cautioned that it would take 6-8 weeks for receipt after confirmation of payment. We applied on 10/13, the payment confirmation arrived on 10/15, and one of the passports arrived yesterday (10/18). I was impressed with 4 days v 6-8 weeks. The other passport and cards will hopefully arrive in the next few days.

One caveat - online renewal can only be done if the old/expired passport expired 1-5 years from the date of renewal application.

It's been many years since I flew domestic and international for a living. When I retired I didn't want to get on another plane for a long time. Now I'm glad I don't need to travel 2,500 each way (5 days, 4 nights in hotels) by car to visit our place in OH and spend time with kids and grandkids.

We drove across country (by car) numerous times in the last 15 years, with our dogs along for the ride. We returned to joint joint travel earlier this year, after the second pet had to be euthanized.

Realizing that the deadline for real ID was approaching in 2025, our passports had expired, and California put an "incorrect" real ID on our drivers licenses, we figured we'd better renew one or the other. Decided to renew passports/passport cards online.

The process was relatively simple and quick, after resolving a glitch with my photo. At several points in the process, we were cautioned that it would take 6-8 weeks for receipt after confirmation of payment. We applied on 10/13, the payment confirmation arrived on 10/15, and one of the passports arrived yesterday (10/18). I was impressed with 4 days v 6-8 weeks. The other passport and cards will hopefully arrive in the next few days.

One caveat - online renewal can only be done if the old/expired passport expired 1-5 years from the date of renewal application.

It's been many years since I flew domestic and international for a living. When I retired I didn't want to get on another plane for a long time. Now I'm glad I don't need to travel 2,500 each way (5 days, 4 nights in hotels) by car to visit our place in OH and spend time with kids and grandkids.
I will need to renew my passport soon.

The Reno Post Office does it all, including the photo. That seems like the easier option for me.

I already have a CA Real ID and (non-real) NV driver's license. Only allowed to have one of each anywhere in the USA. But can have as many regular ID cards as in many states one has residence.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ Denny's

The Reno Post Office does it all, including the photo. That seems like the easier option for me.
Sure sounds like it. I don't believe that's an option at our local Post Office.

Thanks for the info. I need to renew mine and didnt know about tge expiration date rule
For clarification, the rule only applies to online renewal. It became visible on screen as I was completing the application.

In the UK you have to surrender your passport. They cut a corner off and return it to you. To stop fraudulent use probably.

In the UK you have to surrender your passport. They cut a corner off and return it to you. To stop fraudulent use probably.
PA does that when you renew your drivers license, except they use a hole punch on the corner. You get to keep the old license for photo ID use.

When I lived in the UK working for the DoD I had two passports; a tourist passport, the blue one and a diplomatic passport that was maroon. The maroon had the visa in it. Had to get the visa renewed so had to send the diplomatic PP in. Got stopped at the border returning from France and was detained for about an hour because I didn’t have the diplomatic PP only the tourist one. I miss that PP. Got to the front of the line with it.

When I lived in the UK working for the DoD I had two passports; a tourist passport, the blue one and a diplomatic passport that was maroon. The maroon had the visa in it. Had to get the visa renewed so had to send the diplomatic PP in. Got stopped at the border returning from France and was detained for about an hour because I didn’t have the diplomatic PP only the tourist one. I miss that PP. Got to the front of the line with it.
When I was in the Navy, our govt passport (which very few military members had) was red. The civilian passports were dark blue.

I've never had/seen any issues traveling by air, maybe because I traveled internationally for a living. That helped save my bacon when we arrived from Mexico aboard our boat and I couldn't remember where I'd put our passports 3 months earlier. The officer said "I need either a passport or a US birth certificate". Then he asked for my drivers license, made a phone call, and said "you're in our computer and you're good to go".

The process is that you berth at the 'customs dock' in San Diego and call the CBP. Only the Captain can get off the boat until cleared. They send one or more officers down from the airport. We were accompanied by another boat, so 3 CBP officers showed up (2 for our boat, because we had passengers along for the trip). As they walked down the ramp, one of the officers pushed ahead and said "I want to do Tom Jones' boat"; He was disappointed :(

Thanks for the info. I need to renew mine and didnt know about tge expiration date rule
I must have had a brain farte. Just re-looked at the limitation, and it says:

You can renew online if you meet all these requirements:
  1. The passport you are renewing is or was valid for 10 years, and you are age 25 or older.
  2. We issued the passport you are renewing between 2009 and 2015. The passport was issued over 9 years but less than 15 years from the date you plan to submit your application.
  3. ....

If renewing online, be sure to go to the Dept of State site.

There's a scam site here that gets folks to enter their information, after charging their credit card, but they don't submit an application on your behalf. Lots of scam reports online.

When I was in the Navy, our govt passport (which very few military members had) was red. The civilian passports were dark blue.
Never had a passport when I was active duty. This PP in photo got me pulled out line and either put in front or steered to the diplomatic line at the airports.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 2
California put an "incorrect" real ID on our drivers licenses,
Can you explain that better? Are you saying you did not apply for a REAL CDL but CA issued you one anyway? And what is the difference? Who is saying it is incorrect?

-Don- Cinder Hills, Coconino Forest, AZ

Can you explain that better? Are you saying you did not apply for a REAL CDL but CA issued you one anyway? And what is the difference? Who is saying it is incorrect?

-Don- Cinder Hills, Coconino Forest, AZ
Our current CDLs (issued 2021) did not have the Federally approved Real ID, resulting in limitations. This DMV page shows the good and bad images; Our CDLs have the one on the right (check the red NOs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffjody
Back
Top Bottom