Online US Passport renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our current CDLs (issued 2021) did not have the Federally approved Real ID, resulting in limitations. This DMV page shows the good and bad images; Our CDLs have the one on the right (check the red NOs).
Oh, IOW, you never applied for the real CDL. You need to go to the CA DMV with proof of your residence in several different ways. Also, prove you are you.

It was many years ago for me to get the CA REAL ID card, but the main hassle is to get things such as your birth certificate, and the other required documents.

See what papers you need here.

-Don- Cinder Hills, Coconino Forest, AZ

Oh, IOW, you never applied for the real CDL. You need to go to the CA DMV with proof of your residence in several different ways. Also, prove you are you.
No need for separate DMV real ID if the CA DMV puts the correct image on our CDLs when we renew them. Meanwhile, since we ordered the passport cards, they will give us the real ID we need for domestic use without the passports or the CDLs.
It was many years ago for me to get the CA REAL ID card, but the main hassle is to get things such as your birth certificate, and the other required documents.

See what papers you need here.
We have the docs we need if we were to apply for it. But there are numerous online reports of folks having issues. Why would we bother getting separate real ID cards?

No need for separate DMV real ID if the CA DMV puts the correct image on our CDL
The "Real" CADL is the same procedure as the CA "Real" ID card, other than the driving part.

If I only lived in NV (or only in CA) I would then have either the CA or NV REAL driver's license. I would have no need to have a separate ID card. Two "REAL" is not allowed, regardless of the states involved, and makes no difference if a DL or ID card. Can only have one "REAL" in the USA. Just like we may have only one driver's license, "real" or not. IOW, I can only have a NV Real driver's license if I surrender my CA Real ID card. But I can also have a "normal" ID card from CA with my Real NV DL.

You seem to think it is automatic that you get a real CDL. It does NOT work that way. If you do not apply, you will NEVER get your "Real" CA driver's license. And that means providing the required documents to CA DMV.

But there are numerous online reports of folks having issues. Why would we bother getting separate real ID cards?
What type of issues? No need for a "real" CA ID card if you already have a CA "real" Driver's License.

Probably do not need the CA "real" anything if you always carry your passport with you. But most people don't carry their passport until outside the country. But most do always have their DL with them. You never know when you may need it, unexpectedly.

You seem to think it is automatic that you get a real CDL. It does NOT work that way. If you do not apply, you will NEVER get your "Real" CA driver's license. And that means providing the required documents to CA DMV.
Sorry, but I really do understand. Our CDLs are not yet due for renewal. So, rather than make an early trip to the nearest DMV (Tracy), it was much easier and quicker to apply online for the passport cards along with the passports. The cards are the same size as my CDL, and fit in the same pocket of my billfold.

I don't understand why you're making such a big deal of this.

We renewed our passports online a couple of years ago. We had to surrender the old ones and it took forever for the new ones to come. They arrived a day or two apart. The process was easy though. Ours had not expired.

Sorry, but I really do understand
That makes two of us. You said:

" California put an "incorrect" real ID on our drivers licenses,"

I don't understand that part. There was nothing "incorrect" about it, was there?

But I think you're now saying you do not want to bother with the real ID, just the passport card. BTW, I didn't even realize that they had a passport card available. Is that something new?

My passport will expire in less than a year.

You said:

" California put an "incorrect" real ID on our drivers licenses," ... . There was nothing "incorrect" about it, was there?
That's how it was reported at the time, and I suppose it stuck with me.
But I think you're now saying you do not want to bother with the real ID, just the passport card. BTW, I didn't even realize that they had a passport card available. Is that something new?
I'm saying that, given the ease with which we were able to renew passports/cards online, we don't need to hassle with the DMV until our drivers licenses get renewed; We'll make one visit instead of two.
My Passport Card was issued in 2010, so I suppose you could say that's "new". The cards are not valid for international travel, which is why we also renewed our passports.

Phew! It might have easier to renew our passports by mail &/or renew our drivers licenses early :rolleyes:

My passport card arrived today; It makes sense it would be a separate mailing from the passport. At land border crossings, you just hold the card up as you drove through, and it gets scanned on the move.

Chris' renewals haven't yet arrived, but hopefully they're somewhere in the process.

Regarding driver’s licenses, there is a difference between a “real ID” DL and an “enhanced DL.” They can be identified by a star (RDL) or an US flag (EDL). Only a few states provide EDL, and they have an RFID chip that border control can use instead of a passport for crossings from Mexico. Officially RDL can’t be used to return to the US, but I have seen them used a lot when folks return from Algodones, MX. I know Utah had to recall a bunch of licenses where they used the wrong symbol, so maybe that is what happened in CA.

Regarding driver’s licenses, there is a difference between a “real ID” DL and an “enhanced DL.” They can be identified by a star (RDL) or an US flag (EDL).
Thanks Pam, I wasn't aware of the EDL. Looks like they're currently available in 5 states.
I know Utah had to recall a bunch of licenses where they used the wrong symbol, so maybe that is what happened in CA.
That's what I thought/assumed since they were issued.

Regarding driver’s licenses, there is a difference between a “real ID” DL and an “enhanced DL.” They can be identified by a star (RDL) or an US flag (EDL). Only a few states provide EDL, and they have an RFID chip that border control can use instead of a passport for crossings from Mexico. Officially RDL can’t be used to return to the US, but I have seen them used a lot when folks return from Algodones, MX. I know Utah had to recall a bunch of licenses where they used the wrong symbol, so maybe that is what happened in CA.
So, an enhanced civilian DL will get you into MX, but a current or retired military ID card won't. Even though a current or retired military ID card is accepted as ID for domestic carrier (airline) use and viewed the same as an enhanced ID.

We renewed our passports in the spring of 2021 at the local post post office (they handled photos and everything) and were also told 6-8 week processing time, reality was under 2 week, though they did not both arrive on the same day.

So, an enhanced civilian DL will get you into MX, but a current or retired military ID card won't. Even though a current or retired military ID card is accepted as ID for domestic carrier (airline) use and viewed the same as an enhanced ID.
When we've crossed into MX by road, boat or walking, we weren't asked to show any ID. But, when we returned to the US it's a different ball game.

Renewed ours this summer. Just had to provide a photo (taken at a local CVS) and old passport, fill out forms at the post office and voila. A couple of weeks later, ours arrived.

Safe travels and all the best.

Reactions: Tom
Mexico doesn’t care what you use to get in; it is the US that cares what you use to get back. And it is perfectly possible for a non-US citizen to have a military ID. None of that is of any relation to what a domestic airline does. International border crossings have their own rules.

Mexico doesn’t care what you use to get in; it is the US that cares what you use to get back. And it is perfectly possible for a non-US citizen to have a military ID. None of that is of any relation to what a domestic airline does. International border crossings have their own rules.
I understand that. It's also possible for a non-citizen to carry an enhanced DL. My point was that it doesn't make any sense that, as you stated, an enhanced ID carried by John Q Public is good for crossing from MX but a military ID - which is considered the same thing as an enhanced ID - is not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffjody
Back
Top Bottom