Replacing 3 or 4 tires ( ? )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaubsNU1

2010 Heartland Sundance XL 5th wheel with dual axles.

Last fall while headed to deer camp, caught a bolt in a tire and had to replace. Thankfully I was only a few miles from town and a local Walmart replaced the tire.

The remaining 3 tires are getting old and needing to be replaced.

Can I replace three, and keep the Walmart tire on there?

Or replace all four?

I do not need a spare...have a brand new one in the camper already.

Thanks! DD.

RV tires typically time-out before they wear-out. Many seem to think 5 year old tires should be replaced regardless of wear. If the date stamp on your spare is getting to retirement age, you might want to put all new on the axles and the Walmart tire as a spare

Your decision will depend on your tolerance for changing a tire along a busy highway in 100 degree heat,,,,thats the typical scenario..>>>Dan ( It's just like changing oil,, I always figured that oil was cheaper than parts.)>>>

I'd change all 4, send the slightly used one to the spare. Your brand new spare, what is the date code?

Can I replace three, and keep the Walmart tire on there?
Short answer: Yes

There is no need to replace a 6 month old tire when replacing the others.

If the spare is still ok age-wise, you can keep it, but if it too is getting old (around 4-5 for a trailer tire), then it's time to replace that too. In that case, get 4 new ones for the axles and keep the 6 month old Walmart for the spare.

Keep the tires one one axle the same brand/size. Don't bother replacing the odd one from Walmart - just get three more as the first on is not too old.

Or, you can check the date on your spare (less than 5 years or replace it also) and match that brand/model and get three to match and put those similar tires on the same axle. Then, make the wally world tire your spare.

If you mix tires on an axle, the characteristics/performance, sidewall strength of one may put undo stress on a dissimilar tire when going around corners, carry different loads, etc.

The tires on the same axle ought to be the same type, size and load range and have the same basic tread pattern. Don't, for example, pair an all-terrain tread with a highway tire.

Type & size are designated by on the sidewall, e.g. ST 225/75R16, where ST is the type (Special Trailer) and 225/75R16 the size. Load Range is designated by a letter and often abbreviated LR. Some tires may show a Load Index number rather LR and that number should be the same or within 1-2 digits.

Given we are talking about trailer tires, no mention of brand or China bombs have been mentioned.

Personally,, I have given up on anything other than a Goodyear Endurance for ST tires. If I were to need a size not available in the GY line, I would consider Hankook's new line of trailer tires, or possibly Carlisle.

So, for me to answer the OP's question, I would need to know the size and load rating required, plus the brand of the one tire Walmart installed, and the brand of the spare.

Charles

I have some OCD and want them to match. I’m with the get a set of four, and make the new Walmart one a Spare crowd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom