Shore power charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldwildman

We just put the new (to us) RV in storage for about 6 weeks. Then, a short excursion and it gets put to bed probably until spring. I looked in the manual and can't seem to find a definitive answer. Does shore power keep the chassis batteries charged? If not, should I just disconnect them using the supplied switch or add a maintainer? 2005 Phaeton Thanks in advance!

Usually shore power runs the house converter, which only charges the house batteries. If you disconnect the chassis battery the engine computer will forget it's run settings and will have to re-learn them when you start it back up. Better to add a maintainer and be sure to keep track of the battery water levels.

It might be faster than trying to look it up, and certainly more conclusive to just test and see if the chassis batteries are charged from shore power. Whether you entrust your batteries to shore power long term depends on how reliable that shore power is. I don't even trust the AC connection of my own garage much less one at another facility. Breakers and GFCI's trip, fuses blow, cords become unplugged. So my money is on a belt and suspenders approach- disconnect the batteries, and connect a mains powered tender.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

U only state that this is a rv is it a drivable on or a travel trailer if it's a travel trailer disconnect the battery and put it on a maintainer.
I take it out and put ours in the garage on a maintainer and it does fine over the winter
Not quite sure how a class c or b does

On a 2005 the answer is like one the old men gave when ask "Briefs Or Boxers?" (Depends)

If you have an Intellec Battery control system (This has a switch marked USE/Store) then the answer is YES. if not Then you'd need to use ye old Volt meter.

Hook volt meter to a Chassis test point (there are many ) and measure after it's been siting for an hour or two 13+ shore charges less than 13 it does not.

Ok, here's the plan going forward. It's in storage for the next month. When we pull it out I'll check the voltage with and without shore power. I contacted the previous owner and he said he never used a maintainer but he didn't mention a built in one. I'll have to look in the electrical compartments for a use/store switch. Absent any proof of some built in mechanism such as a good voltage reading or use/store switch (or both), I'll hook it up to a maintainer.

From what I understand, I'll have no problem starting it even if the chassis batteries go a little flat. It has that switch that adds a boost from the coach batteries if necessary. I've just read that it'll help the batteries last longer if they're kept charged properly. A bit pricey to replace them so I want them to last as long as possible.

Thanks for the pointers!

Battery voltage if they are being "maintained" will be 13V+, otherwise 12.6 or less. Battery disconnect switches do not disconnect everything. By law the LP detector must be powered continually.
I'd disconnect the neg. battery cable from both battery banks for long-term storage, then forget about them until next spring. Lead Acid batteries lose about 3% per month of charge due the self-discharge action.

I prefer use of one of the better battery maintainers for long term storage, even if your coach supplies power from the converter. I found batteries to last longest by lifting the negative cable from the battery and then using a good maintainer from a known manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom