Water drips outside when water heater is heating up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian1

I have a 2019 Coleman 264RL. When the water heater is warming up I get a drip on the outside of the camper. If I look in the outside panel, there are no leaks from the drain etc... When I look inside under the sink, I don't see any leaks. Any ideas where the drip is coming from? Maybe a line coming out of the heater?

Attachments

• drip.jpg
    drip.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 12
Two possibilities with the water heater. Condensation from the heater tube where the flame is when it fires off from cold. Or, system was at nominal tap pressure when cold, then when the water gets hot it expands, pressure increases and the Overpressure Protection Valve (OPV) can weep. Looking behind the water heater cover will reveal the source. Where you pointed in the photo it could also be the condensate drain from the refrigerator.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Or, system was at nominal tap pressure when cold, then when the water gets hot it expands, pressure increases and the Overpressure Protection Valve (OPV) can weep. Looking behind the water heater cover will reveal the source. Where you pointed in the photo it could also be the condensate drain from the refrigerator.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
This. Mine does it all the time since we turn off the WH when not in use. Chuck

system was at nominal tap pressure when cold, then when the water gets hot it expands, pressure increases and the Overpressure Protection Valve (OPV) can weep.
That is most likely the issue that you have. Water heaters are designed to have an air bubble in the top which minimizes the pressure changes. Because air is water soluble, that bubble does go away if it is not replenished from time to time. There are several easy ways to do that and easiest is when connecting the fresh water hose, drain out water from the hot water faucet until the air is gone each time as the air passing through the water heater will stay there if it is low. Occasionally a water heater safety valve will start to leak and need to be replaced. It is the brass valve near the top.
Copy-of-Untitled-3.png

An easy way to check to see if that is what is leaking is to open the outside access and watch it for dripping.

That is most likely the issue that you have. Water heaters are designed to have an air bubble in the top which minimizes the pressure changes. Because air is water soluble, that bubble does go away if it is not replenished from time to time. There are several easy ways to do that and easiest is when connecting the fresh water hose, drain out water from the hot water faucet until the air is gone each time as the air passing through the water heater will stay there if it is low. Occasionally a water heater safety valve will start to leak and need to be replaced. It is the brass valve near the top.
Copy-of-Untitled-3.png

An easy way to check to see if that is what is leaking is to open the outside access and watch it for dripping.
Yes, I opened the outside access panel like in the above picture, but I didn't see any drips or leaks inside.

I didn't see any drips or leaks inside.
The only time it would be dripping is when you are getting the water that you have seen outside. If I am right about the cause that will only happen when it is heating back up from a large amount of hot water usage. That problem is the most probable cause of an intermittent water leak.

I have a 2019 Coleman 264RL. When the water heater is warming up I get a drip on the outside of the camper. If I look in the outside panel, there are no leaks from the drain etc... When I look inside under the sink, I don't see any leaks. Any ideas where the drip is coming from? Maybe a line coming out of the heater?
This is simply the water expansion pressure exceeding the pressure relief valve release pressure causing it to open and leak water which will result every time the tank heats up from a colder water temp to the hot water setpoint temp. You can briefly crack open the hot water side of a faucet during this heating process to keep this from happening.

However, this why all residential tank water heaters and all hydronic radiant heating systems are required to have an expansion tank. They also make expansion tanks expressly for RVs too, but the RV industry being what it is, it's most likely that not many RVs actually have them. For example here's one:

I suspect this RV water tank heater "leak" happens to many RVs frequently, but most folks never notice it. And depending where this leakage water ends up, it could eventually rot out the floor of a RV too.

Last edited:
Another way to fix the leak is to reestablish the air in the top of the tank. You can do that by turning off the water heater & the water supply, lift the silver lever to open the relief valve, to allow air to enter. Next open the hot water low point drian for a minute or so. Close that drain, close the relief by pushing that lever to allow it to snap shut and turn the water supply back on. Next open the hot water faucet to remove any excess of air. Once no more air comes from the faucet, turn the water heater back on and the dripping should be eliminated.
1729013719399.png

That makes me think of a question. In houses with old water heaters where the pressure release valve may have never been opened sometimes when you open them they never seal properly again and leak. Can the same thing happen on rvs?

That makes me think of a question. In houses with old water heaters where the pressure release valve may have never been opened sometimes when you open them they never seal properly again and leak. Can the same thing happen on rvs?
RV water heaters use the same pressure relief valves as in buildings. However, water heaters in buildings have expansion tanks (or at least per code they should)...even though they only typically get filled once and stay continuously heated. Water heaters in RVs often don't have expansion tanks and are typically filled/emptied many times and are not typically continuously heated...hence the RV pressure relief valve leakage issue...and all the more reason they should have an expansion tank. Furthermore, and unlike the water heaters in buildings, RV pressure relief valves are frequently manual cycled...when they are opened/closed when draining the tank for Winterization and when they are opened/closed when filling the tank for camping season to ensure the tank is adequately filled so the electric heating element doesn't self-destruct when it is turned ON. The proper solution is to install an expansion tank if a RV tank water heater lacks one. While tankless water heaters also require a pressure relief valve, they don't require an expansion tank since a faucet is always open when they are actually heating and supplying hot water.

Last edited:
All I have ever had to do to stop my from leaking is to open any hot water valve at the faucet and let it run for several seconds. No more leaks until the next time. Chuck

That makes me think of a question. In houses with old water heaters where the pressure release valve may have never been opened sometimes when you open them they never seal properly again and leak.
Can the same thing happen on rvs?
The answer is that they can but are much less likely to if you flex them occasionally, which usually doesn't happen with a house water heater. If you want to drain and flush the water heater, as one should do at least annually, the quickest way is to open that relief valve. Also, the reason for letting it snap shut rather than easing it is to seat it better. If you were to read the instructions that come with a new water heater for a house you would find that it says to turn it off, turn off the water, connect a hose to the drain connection on the bottom, then open the drain valve and also the pressure relief. A plumber friend who is also an RVer once told me that if we would do the maintenance suggested for a home water heater, most of them would last at least 5-10 years longer.

All I have ever had to do to stop my from leaking is to open any hot water valve at the faucet and let it run for several seconds. No more leaks until the next time. Chuck

Yep, that's what I initially suggested if the pressure relief valve leaking concerns you. But as long as the valve isn't continuously leaking and all the leaking water is exiting outside the RV, I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about it.

I repeatedly had similar problems with mine, my eventual solution was to replace the pressure relief valve, going on 3 years now with no problem.

As long as the air in the top of the tank is maintained you won't need to do that.
True, but that is a bandaid solution just like cracking a faucet while the tank is heating. Air gets absorbed by water. It also takes more effort to accomplish this and if you don't get it right, you risk exposing the electric heating element to air and burning it out. The other issue is having a wet air pocket in a tank that's just looking to rust out. You need both air (oxygen) and water to create rust. Water tanks last longer when kept entirely full of water with low air entrapment.

The other thing to be aware of is that how much leaking you actually experience will depend on the volume of water in your hot water system and your pressure relief valve setting. More water and a lower pressure relief valve setting will result in more leaking. When designing a hydronic radiant floor heating system and selecting an appropriate expansion tank size, we use this calculator that we developed:

Again, the proper solution to this issue is an expansion tank. And replace the pressure relief valve if it leaks continously.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyJa
Back
Top Bottom