Good video on Tesla truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is some good unbiased information provided by LoLoHo
Did anybody here watch the full 28 minutes & 11 seconds?

I didn't. But I watched nearly half.

I kinda think the "steer by wire" could be an accident waiting to happen. I would want to see this truck on the road for quite a while before I would buy one--and it is a possibility if my 1999 ICE Dodge truck ever craps out.

And my Dodge Ram is only a 2WD.

Tommy & I purchased it long before we even thought about buying another house in Reno, so we then didn't think we would have much use for a 4WD in the SF Bay Area.

Now I want a 4WD with a higher ground clearance than my Tesla since I junked my 1999 4WD ICE Jeep Grand Cherokee last year when it was still running great, but all the catalytic converters needed to be replaced. It couldn't pass a Reno smog test, so I decided that was a good time to junk it.

I kinda hope the time to junk my 1999 2WD Dodge Ram comes soon. Then my only ICE cages will be my two RVs.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Bottom line - it takes too much power to tow a full size trailer to make the Cybertruck (or any other electric truck) a practical alternative to a regular pickup towing a full size RV. Not so much engine power as battery capacity. Maybe you'll get enough range towing a low weight, low drag teardrop trailer but not a full size RV. Range extenders are great if you can find superchargers to refill them, otherwise you'll spend half a day recharging at a regular charging station. And buying one as an experiment? Even if you can recharge for free the $60-80K purchase price will buy a lot of dino juice for an ICE hauler- about 30-50K miles worth at today's prices.

it takes too much power to tow a full size trailer to make the Cybertruck (or any other electric truck) a practical alternative to a regular pickup towing a full size RV.
I won't be towing with it, so that isn't an issue to me.

But like anything else, it depends on what you're using it for. But it has a 122.4 KWH battery. That should give a decent range even when towing.

My 2018 Tesla M3 LR has a 70 KWH battery and it's good for around 300 miles on the freeway. Without towing expect around 3.5 miles per KWH (around 7 miles per KWH on electric motorcycles).

Expect half the range when towing. Expect a little less than half if towing something extra heavy. But the Cyber truck itself is quite heavy at 6K lbs. At least that is a good thing when towing. You want the truck to be heavy for towing.

122.4 times 3.5=428.4 miles. Expect a bit less than half of that or around 200 miles if towing something heavy. I know it can tow 11,000 lbs. They claim a 470-mile range, but IMO, my 3.5 miles per KWH is usually more accurate for average real word driving. And better range than spec when driving slower than 65. I know my Tesla gives at least another hundred miles of range at 40 mph. They use 100 KMH (62 MPH) for their range estimates.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Ford this week posted they're cutting back ev production this year citing lagging demand. Chalking it up to prices and a lack of infrastructure, ie., charging stations. An ev in an urban area for limited commuting where it's ordinarily charged in the garage is workable but I think we're a ways off from ev's being a practical alternative for long distance travel and even further off from the notion that an ev is practical for towing. By the time you aquire the mass ( battery) to tow anything substantial for any substantial distance the problem is your own mass.

I find it curious that a year ago there were waiting lists for these things, and suddenly those have evaporated? Or were the waiting lists expected to be even larger to imply increasing demand? Even though I consider EV's to be a niche product, it would seem (as evidenced by tesla) that there's some market for these things and it's not all or nothing for car manufacturers. Unless, it really is all or nothing based on anticipated regulation and legislation (guvmint picking winners/losers).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Bottom line - it takes too much power to tow a full size trailer to make the Cybertruck (or any other electric truck) a practical alternative to a regular pickup towing a full size RV. Not so much engine power as battery capacity. Maybe you'll get enough range towing a low weight, low drag teardrop trailer but not a full size RV. Range extenders are great if you can find superchargers to refill them, otherwise you'll spend half a day recharging at a regular charging station. And buying one as an experiment? Even if you can recharge for free the $60-80K purchase price will buy a lot of dino juice for an ICE hauler- about 30-50K miles worth at today's prices.
You don’t have to find a supercharger. The vehicle knows where they all are.

You don’t have to use a supercharger. A tesla can charge on any DC fast charger, or any other charger for that matter.

Ford this week posted they're cutting back ev production this year citing lagging demand. Chalking it up to prices and a lack of infrastructure, ie., charging stations. An ev in an urban area for limited commuting where it's ordinarily charged in the garage is workable but I think we're a ways off from ev's being a practical alternative for long distance travel and even further off from the notion that an ev is practical for towing. By the time you aquire the mass ( battery) to tow anything substantial for any substantial distance the problem is your own mass.
The cybertruck with the big pack has a range of 470 miles. It will have no problem towing a typical trailer towed by half tons 200 miles or more.

You don’t have to find a supercharger. The vehicle knows where they all are.

You don’t have to use a supercharger. A tesla can charge on any DC fast charger, or any other charger for that matter.
That is if there are chargers. But thats neither here or there. The price structure is not for the average consumer. Of course I am not going to argue for or against. I am only providing a common sense response to all these ev vehicles. These are really niche vehicles, or toys at this point. But I did think the video spells out the true details about towing, costs and overall a lot more than any other detailed description for the Tesla product.

The "common sense" response is, duh, a $60k++ Cybertruck isn't meant for the average consumer nor is it intended to be a replacement for a gas pickup with the current state of infrastructure. Expecting them to be and then complaining about all the things we already knew about them amounts to insanity - or just complaining.

(It's not like you planned on buying one, anyway).

$60k? That would be a bargain for a well equipped ICE pickup.

I'd agree 80, 90, 100k pickups are not meant for the average consumer, either. But here we are, 84 month loans at 40% debt to income, 7% interest, and median incomes what they are. Lots of people do it, right or wrong.

I find it curious that a year ago there were waiting lists for these things, and suddenly those have evaporated? Or were the waiting lists expected to be even larger to imply increasing demand? Even though I consider EV's to be a niche product, it would seem (as evidenced by tesla) that there's some market for these things and it's not all or nothing for car manufacturers. Unless, it really is all or nothing based on anticipated regulation and legislation (guvmint picking winners/losers).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Ford says they grossly over estimated future demand, one word, the price of gas.
$60k? That would be a bargain for a well equipped ICE pickup.
That's not for the model that will pull a toothpick from a chicken's a$$, that one will go for only 92 grand.

The "common sense" response is, duh, a $60k++ Cybertruck isn't meant for the average consumer nor is it intended to be a replacement for a gas pickup with the current state of infrastructure. Expecting them to be and then complaining about all the things we already knew about them amounts to insanity - or just complaining.

(It's not like you planned on buying one, anyway).
Evs are being shoved down the throats of the citizens and across the globe. Listen to the supposed leaders of the country. Deny it all you wish. Even at the price of the trucks, government does not need to be partially funding vehicles in the form of tax credits, and really only funding the folks in the higher income levels to boot. But the Ford up and coming planned layoffs speaks for itself. Of course you will not agree, but common sense is written all over the reply in the real world. The infrastructure is just not ready for such nonsense of going all ev vehicles.

Evs are being shoved down the throats of the citizens and across the globe. Listen to the supposed leaders of the country. Deny it all you wish. Even at the price of the trucks, government does not need to be partially funding vehicles in the form of tax credits, and really only funding the folks in the higher income levels to boot. But the Ford up and coming planned layoffs speaks for itself. Of course you will not agree, but common sense is written all over the reply in the real world. The infrastructure is just not ready for such nonsense of going all ev vehicles.
And weeeeeee're off.

I'd agree 80, 90, 100k pickups are not meant for the average consumer, either. But here we are, 84 month loans at 40% debt to income, 7% interest, and median incomes what they are. Lots of people do it, right or wrong.
You are 100% correct. I see it all the time on the RAM forum I belong to. These guys are buying the $75k trucks, then come looking for answers on how to get better gas mileage. I spent well less than $50k for mine this year because I wanted a truck, not a sports car. That >$25k I didn't spend will buy >8000 gallons of gas at $3 per gallon. I live rural and I don't drive anywhere just to be driving so I fill up about once a month, and if I spent $100 on that fill-up that $25k will buy me 20 year's worth of gas.

I find it curious that a year ago there were waiting lists for these things, and suddenly those have evaporated?
Perhaps most who would consider an EV have already purchased one (or more, such as in my case).

I sure saw a lot of them yesterday on the way to Auburn from Reno on I-80. Perhaps the most common car of all (includes ICE) was Tesla. And that was also how I got here.

-Don- Auburn, CA

You must be confused. People with high income don't quality for an EV tax credit. And there is no mandate I'm aware of to buy an EV.

What happens when the infrastructure becomes ready to support even more EV's, as increasing and record sales globally seem to indicate that consumers, not the government, are dictating the future?

You must be confused. People with high income don't quality for an EV tax credit. And there is no mandate I'm aware of to buy an EV.

What happens when the infrastructure becomes ready to support even more EV's, as increasing and record sales globally seem to indicate that consumers, not the government, are dictating the future?
And people with lower income can't afford them. So who is getting these tax credits? I'm really asking here, I know nothing about EV's or tax credits.

Back
Top Bottom