Replying to old threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMHS

Welcome aboard Famulenu!

Just so you are aware this thread is a couple years old...
The thread may be old but the topic isn't.

If it's objected to sooooo much, why don't the moderators simply lock the topics after a certain length of time.

If it's objected to sooooo much, why don't the moderators simply lock the topics after a certain length of time.
Typically when someone, myself at times, replies to a very old thread, someone simply points out the age of that particular thread. Not much of a problem IMO and I don't see anything wrong with leaving threads open for future replies given in many cases, additional or clarifying info often is of use to readers.

The thread may be old but the topic isn't.

I don't object to threads being left open. In fact I prefer it.

It's only pointed out in case the resurrector is expecting the OP to respond or something.

Or people start giving advice to a poster long gone. In this case the OP hasn't been here since September of 2020.

What may be a simple process is to have a pop up on threads over 6 months old that informs poster of the fact it is an old thread. It could also maybe ask if poster wants to continue.

I have seemed to notice that on old threads when I click on it it stops on the original post. In current threads it seems to jump directly to the latest post.

I have seemed to notice that on old threads when I click on it it stops on the original post. In current threads it seems to jump directly to the latest post.
It goes to what should be the last post you've read. However because of the forum software change that may not happen for older posts.

What may be a simple process is to have a pop up on threads over 6 months old that informs poster of the fact it is an old thread. It could also maybe ask if poster wants to continue.
Many of the old threads are being resurrected by spammers. Some are genuine new members but if you see the member's name with a line through it, or along time member posting then it's likely been a spammer who has had a post removed.

The forum software will unlikely have special tweaks made as this can cause issues with software updates.

It goes to what should be the last post you've read. However because of the forum software change that may not happen for older posts.
Yeah but there must be something to this. I always use "threads with my posts" listing view first and it seems for any thread around a year old it always stops on the original post screen, then I click "jump to new"

My device must be different than some others, if I don't click on a thread I don't have to read anything in it and if I object to reviving an old thread it will let me move on without requiring I mansplain the difference in 2018 and 2023.
Nobody was objecting to the thread being resurrected. On this forum it seems it’s just a courtesy when someone points out the age a thread.
Courtesy or mansplaining.

FWIW that was a standard feature in our prior forum software. The current software requires a paid $$ add-on to provide that feature.

Too many unknowns, including options folks have in their settings & filters and how they access a thread (e.g. I almost always use New Posts and I'm shown links to the newest unread post in each thread). This is apparently not a big deal for folks.

I brought this up to Tom quite some time back and it basically is that the people who pay for the forum don't want to spend the money on the option. It should be put on a priority list for any major upgrade$ done to this forum's software, to include it. Having a pop-up appear that says "this thread is over 180 days old, do you wish to continue" will probably stop at least half of the people. A few will ignore it. The warning should say "Hey buddy, this thread is old, some of the participants have moved on, most don't want to read old news, Click HERE to start a new thread instead"

If I have to ask a question or revive something old, I will start a new thread, and provide a link to the old one. However this comes from years of forum user experience.

I've tried to figure out if some of these thread revivals are some sort of sophisticated trolling or a scam, but I have not found anything yet that points to that.

Charles

I brought this up to Tom quite some time back and it basically is that the people who pay for the forum don't want to spend the money on the option.
I think it was a matter of needing to achieve consistency across numerous forums. Initially, the need was to convert all forums to this software. We (the RV Forum) were the guinea pig to understand, anticipate and deal with issues surrounding migration from different software (more than one) to the software we've enjoyed here for some time.

We had a number of issues here in RVF which eventually got resolved. Some needed the acquisition of 3rd party software add-ons.

I'm not sure where the group is in the overall migration process, but 'll pass this request up the chain (again?)

I brought this up to Tom quite some time back and it basically is that the people who pay for the forum don't want to spend the money on the option. It should be put on a priority list for any major upgrade$ done to this forum's software, to include it. Having a pop-up appear that says "this thread is over 180 days old, do you wish to continue" will probably stop at least half of the people. A few will ignore it. The warning should say "Hey buddy, this thread is old, some of the participants have moved on, most don't want to read old news, Click HERE to start a new thread instead"

If I have to ask a question or revive something old, I will start a new thread, and provide a link to the old one. However this comes from years of forum user experience.

I've tried to figure out if some of these thread revivals are some sort of sophisticated trolling or a scam, but I have not found anything yet that points to that.

Charles
Many are spam as per my previous comment. It's a good way of spotting them 🤣

When an old post gets resurrected, I'm extremely guilty of not checking the date of the original post. I usually read the original post and if the post is something I can respond to, I do. THEN, someone comes along and points out the date of the original post, and I feel .... well ... kind of stupid at that point!

But, if the thread continues with a new interest, then I don't feel so bad.

I think it would be good that the date of the original post was a bit more "in your face", up front though.

For the "what it's worth column"... it's not only just THIS forum, but other forums too. It's extremely easy to miss the original posting date and jump on an old thread.

Back
Top Bottom