Replying to old threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand why anybody cares how old a thread is, as long as good info is being added to it. Or even relevant questions.

-Don- 79765
No disagreement. The only issue is that a new poster may not be aware that the person they think they're helping may have resolved their issue long ago &/or may not have visited the forum in a very long time & won't see their reply.

Last edited:
The only issue is that a new poster may not be aware that the person they think they're helping may have resolved their issue long ago &/or may not have visited the forum in a very long time & won't see their reply.
And this often (not always) is at least partly because the person doesn't read ALL of the replies, something that is not restricted to new folks. There are often replies that are duplicates or ignore several things in an earlier post in the same thread, just because they didn't read it all.

Reactions: Tom
Way back when, our longest-running thread was on the subject of TP. For years the subject would either be replied to or started fresh, and folks would say "oh no, not again" :)

Its very common for me to just look at a reply on any thread that shows in the latest post section and not really look at any date of the previous response when I might open it up. Its possible that this is the case on a few of the older threads that gets bumped up by others that uses the search function to post.

How far back is a thread considered really too old and not really up to speed to bump up for the topic, which can be better served on posting a new thread?

Many times the thread is resurrected not because someone different says they have the same problem (yes, that too) but, it happens because someone appears and says they have a better idea or they suddenly want to add to the discussion. I have seen several of those lately.

Then they vanish.

Charles

I don't understand why anybody cares how old a thread is, as long as good info is being added to it. Or even relevant questions.

-Don- 79765
Granted, it's not a big deal, but there's not much point in asking a question of the OP or giving direct advice to the OP on a problem that is 2-3 years old. However, general comments or advice on the problem type may still be useful to others who are researching a similar problem. So, yeah, there's nothing wrong in replying to an ancient thread, but the content of the reply should take the age into consideration. And most of us don't realize that the information is dated until we have already replied.

And most of us don't realize that the information is dated until we have already replied.
The first to reply to such a message are always the FNGs. That is because they can see every message in the forum by default, unlike the rest of us who only see newer messages.

But the ones who reply to the FNG's message usually have no idea it's an old thread as we all see the message from the FNG. I think we probably have all done that.

But sometimes there is good info. even in these messages, even if the OP is long gone.

There have also been a few times where I have looked for an old thread to add something to it. Especially when it was me who started the old thread.

-Don- 79765

The first to reply to such a message are always the FNGs. That is because they can see every message in the forum by default, unlike the rest of us who only see newer messages.

But the ones who reply to the FNG's message usually have no idea it's an old thread as we all see the message from the FNG. I think we probably have all done that.

But sometimes there is good info. even in these messages, even if the OP is long gone.

There have also been a few times where I have looked for an old thread to add something to it. Especially when it was me who started the old thread.

-Don- 79765
This is true, but if you happen to be the FNG and click on a thread it will take you to the first page of said thread. At that point you're on Page #1, and if you don't notice that there are 37 pages of replies and look to see what the original post date is then there is no help for you.

This is true, but if you happen to be the FNG and click on a thread it will take you to the first page of said thread. At that point you're on Page #1, and if you don't notice that there are 37 pages of replies and look to see what the original post date is then there is no help for you.
Spammers don't care 🤣

Sure, but the 37th and last page can still be ten years old. Such as these 41 pages from 2010.

BTW, anybody here know what happened to Ned?

Last seen Jun 14, 2017

-Don- 79765
He passed away a few years ago Don.

From memorial section.

Ned Reiter had been in the computer industry since 1961 and was a self employed programmer from 1974. He and his wife Lorna were RVers from 1990. Ned was a long-time forum staffer and a technical support to many, both on and off the forum. He would often make "house calls" at forum rallies, helping folks with computer, networking, and other technical issues. Ned lost his battle with cancer and passed away on June 27, 2016.

Sure, but the 37th and last page can still be ten years old. Such as these 41 pages from 2010.

Last seen Jun 14, 2017

-Don- 79765
Ned passed away in 2016. See this thread:

But the ones who reply to the FNG's message usually have no idea it's an old thread as we all see the message from the FNG. I think we probably have all done that

For me, as an ex-forum admin, I take special allowance for newbies, especially because they are new and it's like walking into a party that's been going on 6 hours where you don't know anyone and everyone is already drunk and you don't know who the idiots are yet - LOL...

Never mind they start by picking over a well consumed canapes plate where the hummus has a leather skin. Let me get you a few tequila shooters so you can catch up with the rest of us...

Last seen Jun 14, 2017

-Don- 79765
If you're new and you never clicked on a subject before, it will take you to Page #1. That's when I try to remember to look at that date on that first page, and if it's 8 years old and there are 37 more pages following it I'm just going to skip it because it isn't relevant anymore and I certainly don't have time to read every single multi-page post on the entire forum.

Even now, there are subjects I have no interest in and have never read a single post in that category like Rallies, Shows, and Events, and RVing Outside the USA. No interest, not taking time to click on anything.

Even now, there are subjects I have no interest in and have never read a single post in that category like Rallies, Shows, and Events, and RVing Outside the USA. No interest, not taking time to click on anything.
Just curious if you occasionally click on Mark Forum Read (below the red menu line)?

Just curious if you occasionally click on Mark Forum Read (below the red menu line)?
I think the last time I marked any forum read was when I first got here. When I join a forum I will cherry pick for a while if there is a feature like "today's posts" so I can get a flavor of what's going on. Then I mark the whole forum read.

Then here my rhythm is "Threads With Your Posts" then "New Posts" scanning headlines until I get to where I left off yesterday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom