Should I switch from a travel trailer to a Class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people deal with that sort on thing quite well, making the challenge part of the fun, but for others it's just aggravating.

After a year of fulltime living in 31 feet I can attest the tiny phone booth shower was the worst most frustrating thing.

After I got sick and was hospitalized I stayed in a motel for a couple of weeks. The shower was luxurious. This prompted me to rent a house for the last 7 months of my property build and move out of the RV.

We have a 25’ travel trailer that we enjoy very much, but get tired of unhooking, rehooking and traveling with a long tow rig. We tow with an f-150 crew cab. Thinking of a small class C (under 30’). A class C, because i have indoor storage, but has to be under 11’ in height. Should we make the change? Has anyone done this that was happy with the decision? Pro’s/cons? My wife and I are both in very good health, I’ll turn 75 in a few days and she is younger than I. Would appreciate any input you can offer.
Well, staying with the trailer. Lots of room, no tow car. Was fun investigating. Thank you all for your very helpful responses.

I started out with a small Class C ('07 Winnebago View) and quickly realized the hassles of no toad (for the type of camping/traveling I was and was planning on doing). However being jittery of having a Mercedes chassis also scared me, after I learned about it (this took joining a dedicated View/Navion discussion group and reading about it to realize what I had got myself into.

I have a diesel pickup and fiberglass trailer and am quite happy with the decision to switch.

I've been looking at trailers, lately. The main reason we went with the Class C was because we would need to buy a tow vehicle. and the expense of acquiring both tower and towee at the time was intimidating.
I've now "Inherited" a decent Dodge 2500 and we are looking at trailers to trade our Class C in for.
I think that I will likely land in the square for keeping the Class C, though. I tend to like the self-contained aspect of the motorized RV. But, I still feel the need to explore the options.
Since its been two months now, tell us more. What year 2500 fell in your lap (is it a diesel?) and are you still looking at trailers? There are a lot of good "couples" trailers out there to chose from

Charles

I started out with a small Class C ('07 Winnebago View) and quickly realized the hassles of no toad (for the type of camping/traveling I was and was planning on doing). However being jittery of having a Mercedes chassis also scared me, after I learned about it (this took joining a dedicated View/Navion discussion group and reading about it to realize what I had got myself into.

I have a diesel pickup and fiberglass trailer and am quite happy with the decision to switch.

Since its been two months now, tell us more. What year 2500 fell in your lap (is it a diesel?) and are you still looking at trailers? There are a lot of good "couples" trailers out there to chose from

Charles
The 2500 is a 2000 4x4 gasser - same year as the SunDancer. Though it has racked up about 50k more miles that the 'dancer, It's a good, sturdy truck that has been well maintained. It's a gas guzzler, though. It gets minutes per gallon, instead of miles. We took it camping in the mountains and on a couple of fishing trips up the North Platte, and pulled the Toad along. The Dancer gets much better fuel economy, but can't go into the rough.
Probably going to keep the Dancer and use the truck for farm duty, and outback camping.

It seems to me (from this thread) most prefer motorhomes, just as I do. So why do 5th wheels and such outnumber motorhomes by about ten to one that I see on the road and in RV parks?

-Don- Reno, NV
Because there are more of them. Few if any trailer folks replying here because OP asking for advice on switching to a MH.
We trailer trash folk people have no insights or input. 😜

Last edited:
I did not read all the post, but the thought that came to my mind immediately was .... What does the wife want? You've been married long enough .... you know the deal! (happy wife, happy life).

It seems to me (from this thread) most prefer motorhomes, just as I do. So why do 5th wheels and such outnumber motorhomes by about ten to one that I see on the road and in RV parks?

-Don- Reno, NV
Because towable RVs outsell powered RVs by about ten to one.

And is price a contributing factor at all?
I know some of those "toads" (does that name apply here?) are more expensive than some motorhomes.

I always assumed they were more common because after you're set up, you have a truck to use for various things.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom