MRE's (emergency RV backup food)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was in the Coast Guard. We had cocktails and hors d'oeuvres on the fantail everyday at 1700. The HH52's then littered down our chow order at 1800. That was it until 0000 when the CS3/2 put out canapes and snacks for the crew pulling the mid. Semper Paratus and Carry On.
I was Air Force. We stayed in hotels with room service and lavish AYCE buffets. Champagne and chocolate fountains.

Yeah. It has serious elevation changes too. It is a dayhike but i would do it as an overnighter.

Drove past it today and there is snow on the peak. That one is a june or july trip
Many people have issues when above 10K feet elevation. But I assume it doesn't bother you as you probably live at a high elevation.

I usually do my backpacking trips in late August, often at around the same elevation I am at now, ~7K feet.

-Don- Cinder Hills, Coconino Forest, AZ

Many people have issues when above 10K feet elevation. But I assume it doesn't bother you as you probably live at a high elevation.

I usually do my backpacking trips in late August, often at around the same elevation I am at now, ~7K feet.

our new house is around 7100 ft. I have backpacked over 10k and been as high as 14.5 k on pikes peak. It definitely affects me but i havent gotten elevation sickness yet. I am not a fast hiker above 8k lol

They say you can see 4 states from the peak
I doubt it. If memory serves me correctly, they used to say you can see several states from Sandia Peak above Albuquerque too, which you can't, and there's a tower in eastern Colorado next to I-70 which claims (or claimed) that one could see six states from the top of the tower (Colorado, Kansas, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska and New Mexico), a claim that was published by Ripley’s Believe It or Not in 1933, but it's not true either:

Last edited:
I checked that out on google satellite view, I had no idea that place was there near Flagstaff. Are you boondocking in the ashes, nearby at a park or campground, or ?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
No campground, just park anywhere past the sign shown here. And stay as long as you want. And for free. There are no time limits posted. You can dump and get your water ($20.00) and your propane at the local KOA around five miles south of here. I don't understand why anybody would stay at the KOA when they can stay here, but that KOA was packed when I went to use their dump station & get propane the other day.

Here I am just south of Sunset Park. I can hike to it from here. Endless hiking trails.

You do not need to ever worry about enough room out here, room for thousands of RVs and then some, but only a few out here and are well spread out. A very nice place to stay and easy to get to. The road (FS road 776 off of Hwy 89) is unpaved and is 1.2 miles to get to the sign that allows camping anywhere past. I am just past that sign by a few feet and am close to the 776 Forest Road.

I find this to be one of the perfect places to boondock. But too many trees to get much solar during the day unless you want to park away from all the trees which is another option about a quarter mile east of here.

The exact place I am parked right now is at (pure decimal degrees):

N35.328493⁰
W111.526523⁰

BTW, I discovered this place several years ago. I arrived at the Flagstaff KOA but that was on a Thursday several years ago. They were fully packed for the weekend, and I would then need to leave. So for the day I stayed at the KOA, I rode my electric motorcycle around the forest areas and that was how I discovered this place.

It was great that the KOA didn't have room for me for that weekend, or else I never would have discovered this place.

While this is an OHV area, it is very quiet and I rarely hear any OHVs in this area. It's very peaceful here, even right next to the main forest road.

While Forest Road 776 is unpaved, it is a fairly decent road and I could easily get my Class A to this very spot which has very low ground clearance. But since I have a choice, I decided for anything off paved roads, my Class C is a better choice. There are all types of RVs in here from new to old and several are towed in with a pickup truck. There are also a few tents, now that the weather is warmer. But plenty of room to be very well spread out to the point that you won't even see anybody else where camped if so desired.

Last edited:
No campground, just park anywhere past the sign shown here. And stay as long as you want. And for free. There are no time limits posted. You can dump and get your water ($20.00) and your propane at the local KOA around five miles south of here. I don't understand why anybody would stay at the KOA when they can stay here, but that KOA was packed when I went to use their dump station & get propane the other day.

Here I am just south of Sunset Park. I can hike to it from here. Endless hiking trails.

You do not need to ever worry about enough room out here, room for thousands of RVs and then some, but only a few out here and are well spread out. A very nice place to stay and easy to get to. The road (FS road 776 off of Hwy 89) is unpaved and is 1.2 miles to get to the sign that allows camping anywhere past. I am just past that sign by a few feet and am close to the 776 Forest Road.

I find this to be one of the perfect places to boondock. But too many trees to get much solar during the day unless you want to park away from all the trees which is another option about a quarter mile east of here.

The exact place I am parked right now is at (pure decimal degrees):

N35.328493⁰
W111.526523⁰

Cinder Hills is part of the Coconino National Forest and there is a 14 day per month camping limit throughout the Forest.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/home/?cid=stelprdb5313448

Back
Top Bottom