EV sales aren't going downhill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maps of charging locations are a joke.
When you navigate to them, you see road miles. Before that, you see as the crow flies. All my many Garmin GPSes do the same.

An interesting EV article:

I ain't going back either, even though the EV world has a ways to go for perfection, especially with the EV motorcycles I like to ride the most of all.

I have no doubt I will never buy an ICE anything for the rest of my life. My 2022 Class A was the last for me.

With all these EV trucks on the road, it probably won't be too long before we see a decent E-motorhome with decent charging infrastructure. The infrastructure is the main issue, not so much the E-motorhome, IMO. I am too old to wait for it and I am happy with my ICE RVs. But I like that feeling of the Infinite torque where I do not even notice I am going uphill as well as countless other features of EVs, home charging, keeping the vehicle at any temp when locked up, no oil changes, no smog checks, etc, etc.

BTW, here is an EV article I just came across.

"You’ve Formed Your Opinion on EVs. Now Let Me Change It."​

"I know they’re not for everybody, but as for me, you can have my EV when you pry it from my cold, frostbitten fingers."

-Don- Reno, NV

We are seeing more and more on the road here. These are made about an hour from us. Unfortunately the infrastructure for charging longer length vehicles is still slim. These guys like to eat a Tim Hortons restaurant close to us. It’s a quiet charger so not a big deal but still takes up 3 spots. It’ll sort itself out. They opened up some long parallel spots at the airport that work for these guys.

IMG_7608.jpeg

We are seeing more and more on the road here.
Hard to believe they can charge a truck at a half million watts this way.

1705803952391.png

So far, I have only noticed Tesla EV semi-trucks (18-wheelers) on USA Parkway, very close to where Tesla makes their batteries. That is at 1 Electric Ave, Sparks, NV 89437 (N39.535939, W119.439453).

I like to ride in that area, but the countless wild horses there can be very stupid. They do not look for traffic at all, they just walk across the road anytime they want. Speed limits seem very low on that road, perhaps for that reason.

-Don- Reno, NV

Maps of charging locations are a joke.
When you navigate to them, you see road miles. Before that, you see as the crow flies. All my many Garmin GPSes do the same.
My point is EV enthusiasts are not plotting a route from Tulecreeper's house to a charger, they are just looking at a generic map of west AR showing lots of chargers. I have family in-law there and I'm very familiar with that area. To visit family just 20 miles east of Ft Smith requires a dozen different roads out of Ft Smith, some going north then some going south to eventually go east.

Its the same in most rural areas. Most rural roads were originally game or Indian trails. Deer do not walk in a straight line and it seems Indians didn't have gps. The pioneers followed them and eventually those game trails got paved. My point is, forget the maps because unless you are plotting a specific course from point A to B, it may be 6 times farther than it would appear. And Garmin gps doesn't even show a lot of roads I've had to take.

Last edited:
The only map you should need to look at is the one in the EV itself:
I think you are missing the point. I'm not against EVs because I'm not rural. But I know what real rural is and what their problems are. Rural dwellers may understand the EV migration better than you. But nobody listens. Believe it or not an EV doesn't work for everyone. Witnessing for your cause doesn't solve those problems.

Believe it or not an EV doesn't work for everyone.
Perhaps nothing works for everybody. But I would rather be in a rural area with an EV in a place I can home charge than be in an urban where I cannot home charge (such as with most who live in San Francico).

BTW, EVs get much better range on those slower rural roads. Range spec on EV cars is the average at legal freeway speeds, ~100 kmph or ~65 mph. Range increases a lot at slower speeds.

Perhaps there are reasons why nobody listens. :)

-Don- Reno, NV

I think you are missing the point. I'm not against EVs because I'm not rural. But I know what real rural is and what their problems are. Rural dwellers may understand the EV migration better than you. But nobody listens. Believe it or not an EV doesn't work for everyone. Witnessing for your cause doesn't solve those problems.
You can't have a rational debate without first understanding and accepting the opposing perspective. To me, the zealots arguing the case for EV adoption do more harm to their case than promote it.

Further, I see this as a two level debate. On the surface you have the user. How does this fit my lifestyle? Does it make sense for my daily use? Then you get into the heady discussions about infrastructure and environmental topics that, IMO, are usually the most dishonest talking points (in both cases).

It's why I'm indifferent to it now. If EV is to be the next transportation standard, it will do so on it's own by bringing more value to the market than what we have already. It shouldn't need zealots promoting the cause, or government forcing it to happen at the expense of all taxpayers.

Perhaps not agreeing to everything you say doesn't mean they didn't hear you?
When they discount a valid problem you know they heard. Being from Plano you should know rural roads are not a straight shot from every ranch to an urban area with chargers. That was my only point.

TEXAS — A recently released report examined the safety, reliability and connectivity of the state's rural transportation system, and indicated that there a number of challenges, such as:
• A lack of connectivity between urban and rural areas

You can't have a rational debate without first understanding and accepting the opposing perspective. To me, the zealots arguing the case for EV adoption do more harm to their case than promote it.

Further, I see this as a two level debate. On the surface you have the user. How does this fit my lifestyle? Does it make sense for my daily use? Then you get into the heady discussions about infrastructure and environmental topics that, IMO, are usually the most dishonest talking points (in both cases).

It's why I'm indifferent to it now. If EV is to be the next transportation standard, it will do so on its own by bringing more value to the market than what we have already. It shouldn't need zealots promoting the cause, or government forcing it to happen at the expense of all taxpayers.
A zealot as defined by former Sen. Alan Simpson is “someone who having forgotten their original cause doubles down in the effort”. For me it also includes people who never understood the original cause or ever cared.

When they discount a valid problem you know they heard. Being from Plano you should know rural roads are not a straight shot from every ranch to an urban area with chargers. That was my only point.

TEXAS — A recently released report examined the safety, reliability and connectivity of the state's rural transportation system, and indicated that there a number of challenges, such as:
• A lack of connectivity between urban and rural areas
Not sure who “they” are and who determines the relative merit of “valid” I live in Texas and trust me, the lack of ev charging stations isn’t a burning issue here. Right now our AG is trying to figure out how to apply the Fugitive Slave Act to apprehending pregnant women who may be fleeing the State, since that one got away.

Texas has cheap gas (compared to the rest of the USA) and countless oil related jobs. I would expect most in Texas to hate EVs big time.

-Don- Reno, NV
Trust me, never once , at the gym, granddaughter’s volleyball and basketball games, grandson’s Christmas program, grocery store, talking with neighbors or otherwise has the subject of ev’s come up, ever. I don’t think anyone here hates ev’s, they’re all over the place in the DFW. I think they are of the opinion, the meaning of life notwithstanding, if you want one, go buy one, if you don’t want one then don’t.

Trust me, never once , at the gym, granddaughter’s volleyball and basketball games, grandson’s Christmas program, grocery store, talking with neighbors or otherwise has the subject of ev’s come up, ever. I don’t think anyone here hates ev’s, they’re all over the place in the DFW. I think they are of the opinion, the meaning of life notwithstanding, if you want one, go buy one, if you don’t want one then don’t.
Same thing here. I haven't heard anyone commenting on EV's anywhere I've gone. The only time I ever hear the term is here or on the news. As a matter of fact, although I'm sure they are more common than it appears, I think I've only seen one EV anywhere around here and that was a few months ago in Ft Smith. I just happened to notice a car going by on my left that didn't appear to have a tailpipe. I asked my wife if it was an EV and she said, "I don't know. I'm not sure that I've ever seen one."

I don’t think anyone here hates ev’s,
Even CA has its share of EV haters, so I am not going to buy there are not any in Texas.

Here is an example of a CA EV hater who owns one but hates it. Never did find out why, but I will assume he cannot home charge. Then ICE becomes more convenient for most driving, which is usually for local stuff.

-Don- Reno, NV

Same thing here. I haven't heard anyone commenting on EV's anywhere I've gone. The only time I ever hear the term is here or on the news. As a matter of fact, although I'm sure they are more common than it appears, I think I've only seen one EV anywhere around here and that was a few months ago in Ft Smith. I just happened to notice a car going by on my left that didn't appear to have a tailpipe. I asked my wife if it was an EV and she said, "I don't know. I'm not sure that I've ever seen one."
Right now I can drive my 4 cyl Outback from here to my Grandkids in La. 400 mi. away @ 80 mph and still have 3/8ths of a tank when I get there, not going to be swapping that for a pita in the foreseeable future. The devil I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom